Some suspension fault codes this morning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this guy had a similar problem. Once again, looks like it was a wiring issue.

I think my plan is to just order a new compressor. When I get it, I'll remove my old one and really poke around and see if I can find any issues. The guy in the above video had to pull apart his compressor's wiring loom to find his wiring issue.

If I don't see anything, I'll put in the new compressor. If I do find something, I'll fix it and see if that works and I can return the new compressor.

might be worth ordering a junk amk off amazon. I ordered one and it functioned fine but wasn’t my issue (it was a stuck valve). They are relatively cheap and this one was plug and play

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be that the CPO warranty underwriter (I believe it's Assurion) would only spring for a reman unit. But I kind of doubt it.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new AMK compressor on the way. Will probably try putting it in next weekend.

BTW, anyone looking for an AMK, I'd recommend looking on eBay. Not sure they'd want me to post it, but there's a somewhat well-known Rover parts supplier who's got them on there for a price that cannot be beat.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new AMK compressor on the way. Will probably try putting it in next weekend.

BTW, anyone looking for an AMK, I'd recommend looking on eBay. Not sure they'd want me to post it, but there's a somewhat well-known Rover parts supplier who's got them on there for a price that cannot be beat.

hope this gets you fixed up. I’m surprised you had a failure with your amk so quickly but glad you found one that wasn’t outlandish! I’m assuming Miami British is who you got it from? I’ve seen great value on oe parts from them. I got a Denso alternator for $400 when the dealer wanted $1000... hoping you got a similar value

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this turned out to be the most hilarious car problem I've ever had.

After all this ****--after doing the valve blocks, checking the wiring, taking the car to the dealer to have them look at it, having the dealer tell me the exhaust valve on the compressor was bad and I needed a new compressor, and ordering a new compressor 2-day air so I'd have it in time for this weekend--I pulled the compressor on my car just now and found the problem.

I sat there with my compressor in my lap and started tracing the wiring from the plug that you can see underneath the compressor when it's installed to the exhaust valve that you can't see when it's installed. Didn't see anything bad until right before the exhaust valve, where I saw that the wiring was legit just fully unplugged from the exhaust valve.

"Surely this can't be it?" My first thought was that maybe the dealer had unplugged it to run some tests and just left it unplugged before they reinstalled the compressor, but then I thought I only paid for an hour of service, so there's no way they pulled this thing, ran tests, then reinstalled it.

Plugged in the wiring clip, reinstalled the compressor, and everything works fine now.

TL;DR: the wiring to the exhaust valve was unplugged.

If you want to know what wiring connection I'm talking about, the exhaust valve is the part right above the "H.c" in the watermark in this photo, and the wiring connection that was unplugged on mine was the wiring leading to it:

LR072537-3.jpg

No idea how it came unplugged. I guess it wasn't fully plugged in when it was installed in August 2018, and took this long to work its way unplugged? Who knows. Imma going to go grab a taco.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better grab a beer with that taco. That's the type of **** that makes you pull your hair out if you bac isn't at a good level.

Glad you got it sorted.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still can't believe it all came down to an unplugged wire. After paying $30 for the valve block rebuild kit, $40 for a new relay, an hour of dealer labor, and shipping/return shipping for the air compressor, it's was all just an unplugged wire.

I feel like I need to sit on this new compressor for a few extra days just to make sure.

File this one in the "I really need a garage because I probably would have pulled the compressor a long time ago if I had one" folder.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this turned out to be the most hilarious car problem I've ever had.

After all this ****--after doing the valve blocks, checking the wiring, taking the car to the dealer to have them look at it, having the dealer tell me the exhaust valve on the compressor was bad and I needed a new compressor, and ordering a new compressor 2-day air so I'd have it in time for this weekend--I pulled the compressor on my car just now and found the problem.

I sat there with my compressor in my lap and started tracing the wiring from the plug that you can see underneath the compressor when it's installed to the exhaust valve that you can't see when it's installed. Didn't see anything bad until right before the exhaust valve, where I saw that the wiring was legit just fully unplugged from the exhaust valve.

"Surely this can't be it?" My first thought was that maybe the dealer had unplugged it to run some tests and just left it unplugged before they reinstalled the compressor, but then I thought I only paid for an hour of service, so there's no way they pulled this thing, ran tests, then reinstalled it.

Plugged in the wiring clip, reinstalled the compressor, and everything works fine now.

TL;DR: the wiring to the exhaust valve was unplugged.

If you want to know what wiring connection I'm talking about, the exhaust valve is the part right above the "H.c" in the watermark in this photo, and the wiring connection that was unplugged on mine was the wiring leading to it:

LR072537-3.jpg

No idea how it came unplugged. I guess it wasn't fully plugged in when it was installed in August 2018, and took this long to work its way unplugged? Who knows. Imma going to go grab a taco.
Whelp, there you go! Or there’s a saboteur afoot! Glad you found the issue and it was a simple fix. Sometimes the quickest way with these things is not a straight line.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those connectors are suppose to have a positive snap-lock so I wonder how it unplugged itself. You mentioned that the pump was either replaced or something was done under CPO. Did it just take this long for the poorly seated plug to work its way loose or do you have a connector issue?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut