sorry but another tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the Nitto's? I am running 41 PSI all around. I dunno why, that's just where I happend to refill them after the last serious trail run. I have always been between 38 and 40 PSI +/- for road use.

As stated in the thread referenced above, I don't air them down much. Going to Pismo Beach next weekend. Will experiment quite a bit while there.

Cheers,

NW

D

dronedog

thanks
what kind of air pump do you carry? i have a small one but it would take an hour i believe to fill the spare if i had to put it on.
the dog

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't filled mine from flat (as I would if I carried the Nitto as a spare under the truck). I have a little unit that is identical to the Viair unit, but a few hundred dollars cheaper but with lessor quality accessories (like the filling valve is a screw on and drives me nuts!).

This one is the bomb! (Viair 400P-RV Portable)
http://tinyurl.com/jbspg

But I have one similar to it, without all the fancy fittings, and 1/3rd the duty cycle (the higher the rating, the better - because it cranks out more air per ******, and runs better longer without getting hot and losing it's ability to crank out air). Mine was about $70, but I can't find it on their website anymore.

It takes me about 20 minutes to pump up all four tires from 28psi up to 40psi. Many people who off road regularly use a PowerTank with CO2 and that takes about as long to fill as it does to unscrew the cap. But they are $300+ and quite bulky.

Cheers,

NW

CKJordan

Reaction score
More of a street tire but excellent dry, wet and snow capabilities

Just put a set of Yokohame Geolander H/T-S G052 on the LE 3 SE. - 265/60-18 which has an overall diameter of 30.5 which is only 1/2 inch above stock.

We put a set of these tires on my wife's Volvo XC-90 and I can't tell you how happy we have been with them for 20k miles.

THe LR3 drives better than new, no tire road noise, very quick steering response. Just an overall better tire than the Goodyear HP at a better price.

Here is a link to tire rack about them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Geolandar+H/T-S+G052

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Geolander range of tires is highly regarded, though that particular tire you referenced is heavily oriented for street use only.

The Geolander A/T+II is a pretty good all around tire

combee1

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of the guys running Nitto's have had balance issues. I wanted to relay my experience thus far with the Nittos and see if anybody else has had a similar experience. I had my Nittos (285/60/18) put on about a month ago. The initial drive home revealed what felt like pretty bad "tire hop" in the rear. To make a long story short, I've taken the LR3 back 4 times trying to get rid of various "vibrations"/ balance issues. The dealer replaced two of the tires but still, the truck just doesn't seem to ride like it should. I was convinced that this dealer was getting bum tires, so I went to a second dealer, independent of the first, and had them install new Nittos. I don't feel the "tire hop" but definitely balance "issues" (steering wheel vibrations between 40 and 60 mph).

Now, I know these are A/T tires, and I need these for the mountains and the beach. But shouldn't they still run fairly smooth on the pavement?

Additionally, I would categorize the road noise from these tires as loud, but for me tolerable. There is no comparison between these and the Goodyears as far as noise. That was one of the stong points of the Goodyears. I like the responsiveness of the Nittos for an A/T tire overall. If I could just get rid of the vibrations, I'd be completely happy.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9