Stain on Seat Stitching?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

There is a reddish stain on the stitching on the lower part of my driver's seat that I cannot seem to get out. So far I have used Maguires Cleaner and Zymol Leather Cleaner, but it does not get rid of the reddish stain. Maybe it's normal wear and tear? I am very careful and only have 3,600 miles on my LR4 so I don't know why it would be worn out already?

Any advice would be appreciated....here is the photo:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow David, that's messed up. I don't know why something like this would happen, do you have red shorts or something where the dye bled into the stitching and leather? Also, the pic looks like whatever protects the leather is stripped and seude is showing. Anyway, to me this looks like it needs professional attention since you may make it worse. There are good leather repair shops around. And if it's defective leather, then maybe LR will fix it. Sorry that happened. I have never seen anything like it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow David, that's messed up. I don't know why something like this would happen, do you have red shorts or something where the dye bled into the stitching and leather? Also, the pic looks like whatever protects the leather is stripped and seude is showing. Anyway, to me this looks like it needs professional attention since you may make it worse. There are good leather repair shops around. And if it's defective leather, then maybe LR will fix it. Sorry that happened. I have never seen anything like it.
Thanks, Count!

I never wear red shorts - basically always dress pants. It's just mind boggling because the rest of the leather is like new. I am really easy on my seats and have no idea why it is wearing out there. It feels as though the leather is fine, but it's more of a stain or scuff or something.

I wonder if I should take it back into LR? They may just call it wear and tear.

So weird! Thanks for your reply.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Count!

I never wear red shorts - basically always dress pants. It's just mind boggling because the rest of the leather is like new. I am really easy on my seats and have no idea why it is wearing out there. It feels as though the leather is fine, but it's more of a stain or scuff or something.

I wonder if I should take it back into LR? They may just call it wear and tear.

So weird! Thanks for your reply.

Try stain removing detergents like shout or tide. You know, the gel you put on a stain prior to washing a shirt or something. Put it on a wet cloth and scub very lightly. If that doesn't help then take it to a detail guy. if that rakes if off, apply leather protectant and conditioner immediately afterwards.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try stain removing detergents like shout or tide. You know, the gel you put on a stain prior to washing a shirt or something. Put it on a wet cloth and scub very lightly. If that doesn't help then take it to a detail guy. if that rakes if off, apply leather protectant and conditioner immediately afterwards.
Thanks, George!

I will definitely try that as it still seems like a stain to me rather than a wear in the leather. I'm curious if anyone else with the tan seats has this issue.

I'll keep everyone posted... I'm going to try the stain remover today!

Have a good weekend.

-David

rainmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that stain on the lower portion of the seat back, or on the seat base?

If it's on the seat back, could it be from a belt?

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. I was warned by my dealer about transfer from wearing a belt with the lighter colored leather.

Marty

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi rainmn,

Yes, the stain is on the lower portion of the seat back, definitely where a belt could rub. I do wear a belt most of the time, but often have a sweater or fleece on so the belt should not be rubbing against there often. Still, it's possible. That's actually the most logical explanation.

If it is a belt stain, I am hoping it will come out!

Thanks!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I was warned by my dealer about transfer from wearing a belt with the lighter colored leather.

Marty
Hi Marty,

Thanks for the heads up, I am going to have to really watch this now. Hopefully I can get the stain out. It's really not very major, you can barely notice it unless you go up close, but still, it's a new vehicle so I hope it comes out. Thanks!

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good call, rainmn! (does that mean rainman?)

David... if you can't get the stain out you may want to ask LR, they do have leather repair services (re-dye/stitch the leather area etc.) but not sure if they'll charge or not. I personally wouldn't aggravate it anymore. I have tan interior and do not have this issue, my leather looks like new and I have about 6000K on the clock. But, I rarely wear a belt.

BTW, my wife's BMW's driver side seat started to wear on the bolster and BMW had it re-dyed and it looks like new. Not sure what it cost, but I don't think it was very much. Sometimes folks really worry about leather wear when in fact it's actually easy to repair. Anyway, good luck with this and please keep us posted. I will not be wearing a belt anytime soon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635