Steal of a deal on an LR4 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to dust this thread off! Sorry for being MIA but I had complications with the title right before my trip to Hawaii which ground the project to a halt until that was sorted, three DMV trips later each which had a 2 week lead time we’re back on track!

As soon as the paperwork was sorted, Heads were sent to the machine shop which also has a 2 week lead time. Heads got machined, machine shop found that two of the exhaust valves are bent, no surprise here. They also suggested replacing 3 valve guides along with all of the valve stem seals. Anyone have a good source for those parts? I’m going to do some homework tonight to see what I can find!

The next order of business is to hand thread the head bolts to the block to see if any are stripped, that’ll dictate whether or not I’ll have to tap the block with the NS300L kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You in a state that requires smog checks? Bummer if so.
If so running an engine that pumped anti freeze out the exhaust kills catalytic converters.
They can be an expensive adventure added to your final repair bill......~~=o&o>.......

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You in a state that requires smog checks? Bummer if so.
If so running an engine that pumped anti freeze out the exhaust kills catalytic converters.
They can be an expensive adventure added to your final repair bill......~~=o&o>.......
I do live in a smog area, the car passed smog a year ago, fingers crossed the cats are good!

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should only deal with smog reading all systems, "green" vs a "red" being a fault or a Check Engine Light fail.

No computer hookup with older OB1 vehicles instead requiring the visual, carbon vacuum line disconnect checking the evap system as well gas cap for function. Only then the tailpipe sniff test.

With coolant acting like oil on the cats, both turning into carbon coating the ceramic honeycomb material inside the cats also increasing backpressure as well the rare earth ($$$) metals reducing the ability of converter to do it's thing hence high HC numbers and a fail over the set maximum allowed the vehicle.

Depending on how long time wise and mileage driven on a sick engine can mean the cats are dead, part dead or still able to function if lugky or washed and rescued.

I spent 22 years hanging out and helping at a friends muffler shop wiyh failed cats the most money made replacing them here in **** Kalif. being the worse or matching one other state in the country with strict smog checks.

I own a Sun Investigator machine half the size of a Smart car a full on beast before going in for smog smog checks or tuneups after engine modifications plus friends vehicles.
Also a Hunter four wheel alignment machine used once checked the LR having solid axles with zero alignment issues 143K miles later and counting.

Your lucky if replacement cats are required being in one of the 48 or 49 state replacements. Only a couple manufactures sell legally in Kalif. being stupid expensive the rest said screw Kalif. and pulled out.

Example, OB1 vehicles now required to install more expensive and flow restrictive OB2 cats on older OB1 vehicles.

MagnaFlow sells 48/49 state OB1 cats but will not ship to a Kalif. mailing address. Must use a out of Kalif. friends address then ship to me.

Save and reinstall the old cat stainless heat shields having dates stamped before that new POS law went into effect. Those 48/49 state cats pass Kalif. smog super clean with the sniff test even with a performance chip installed. Talking $87 each cat when I stocked up four cats five years ago. Present MagnaFlows installed 19 years ago at 117K miles service still operating like new smog numbers.

Sorry I ran off on your thread.

One suggestion sounds goofy, I used "Cab Soap" a super strong cleaning powder used on big rigs, a cup of powder to two gallons of hot water sloshing spoiled converters then a good rinse. Set near heat lamps vertically overnight, next day reinstalled they functioned again.
This works best with cats that have flanges welded into at each end.
Cats worth a try to rescue vs looking at $800-$1,100 plus replacements.

Don't laugh, it has saved a few friends owning and street racing BMW's after messing up cats due to turbo boost lifting heads and by anti freeze "spoiling" plus after a few engines that auto disassembled at 8,400 rpm's ending up with cats swallowing a lot of oil.
Note both anti-freeze and oil soaked cats were not driven any distance at all being gearheads knowing driving any distance destroys cats.

I did head replacements on a friends "Must Have" 5.0 LR found dead and like yours cheap for a reason. We were up and running between $1,100-$1,300 including purchase price. My free labor as usual, paid later in fish and Bier. A never again touching a 5.0 engine.
It's now used to launch his 24' sport fishing boat in salt water down the ramp ending with the top of the rear tyres submerged in saltwater the stopping depth to launch. Drain holes added with holesaw into the floorboards for draining out the interior

Good hunting and rescue with your project.

My friends have shops with lifts plus the space with over 3/4 mentioning part it out then buy one that runs and not so bad off being money ahead as the unknowns can get costly rescuing.....~~=o&o>......

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m able to source everything except the valve guides. Anyone had any luck ordering/sourcing them?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m able to source everything except the valve guides. Anyone had any luck ordering/sourcing them?
Is the problem that you can't find the part number? Or that you have a part number, but the part is not available for purchase anywhere and the dealer can't get them either?

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t find the part number anywhere, also no place seems to have the available by searching specifically for a 2010 LR4 5.0 V8. I’m going to call the stealership tmrw to see if I can find anything there. I’d think they would be readily available with these engines being relatively broadly used in Landrovers and Jags.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well unfortunately no luck with the dealership, the tech I spoke to says that LandRover consider the 5.0 valve guides as not serviceable, so if they have ones that need replacing they replace the entire head! Crazy!! The hunt continues for valve guides

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is CRAZY. Remember to check out the Jaguar world since it's the same AJ133 engine.

:eek:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is CRAZY. Remember to check out the Jaguar world since it's the same AJ133 engine.

:eek:

Sounds crazy at first, but when I think about it more, seems like Land Rover defaults to replacing a whole part on a lot of things (versus replacing the portion of the part that's actually broken). I think Land Rover generally treats all the owners as the type of people who don't blink at big repair bills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA