sucking air between engine and transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the iiD tool but I’ll get one ordered and try it. I’ve driven the car several hundred miles( 100 per day for the past 2 weeks) does it only learn after it’s been reset. Would the reset affect the vacuum issue as well? I’ve been searching for some sort of vent but have come up empty so far.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PROBLEM SLOVED! REAR PCV VALVE

I replaced 1 of the 2 PCV valves and the issues continued. The one I replaced looked fine, spring was in order and no ripped rubber gasket so I didn’t bother replacing the 2nd( the one closer to the back of the motor) this morning I saw the second valve sitting on my desk so I figured what the hell, I’ll put it in. Installed it this morning and it instantly solved the issue......lesson learned

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PROBLEM SLOVED! REAR PCV VALVE

I replaced 1 of the 2 PCV valves and the issues continued. The one I replaced looked fine, spring was in order and no ripped rubber gasket so I didn’t bother replacing the 2nd( the one closer to the back of the motor) this morning I saw the second valve sitting on my desk so I figured what the hell, I’ll put it in. Installed it this morning and it instantly solved the issue......lesson learned

great news!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool.

Any chance of a brief rundown on what you had to do to change it? Is it a simple as popping a cover off?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Any chance of a brief rundown on what you had to do to change it? Is it a simple as popping a cover off?
I changed mine out recently and had the darndest time popping the old pcv covers off. I ended up snapping 3 of the 5 clips to remove it. It was actually pretty brittle for being a 2011. The new cover and spring pops in super easy.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this. I was about to do an oil change on my 2010 LR4 and noticed oil in the gully right along the valve cover . More oil around the oil filter housing and down the front of the engine in the general area. I pulled the oil filler cap while the vehicle is running and it immediately starts to stumble and almost die. I don't think this is normal. Bad PCV?

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this. I was about to do an oil change on my 2010 LR4 and noticed oil in the gully right along the valve cover . More oil around the oil filter housing and down the front of the engine in the general area. I pulled the oil filler cap while the vehicle is running and it immediately starts to stumble and almost die. I don't think this is normal. Bad PCV?

It is normal.
By removing the oil filler cap, you are introducing unmetered air into the engine.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes ok that is comforting. Vehicle is running great. Not sure where the oil leak is coming from but it may be as simple as the oil filter cap oring itself. There was quite a bit of oil around it when I removed the filter and the oring felt stiff.. I did an oil and filter change and cleaned up the area. We will see if the leak continues. There was residue above the oil filter base so unless it is leaking upwards it has to be just the oil filter cap. The PCVs were changed not too long ago. Crossing fingers.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Have you changed out the valve cover gaskets? If you haven't, that's the most common cause for oil leaks. Just take care of it before it gets on your alternator and creating more issues.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you changed out the valve cover gaskets? If you haven't, that's the most common cause for oil leaks. Just take care of it before it gets on your alternator and creating more issues.

No I haven't. What's weird is there was oil residue above the level of the valve cover gasket on the oil filter base and oil filter cover. I cleaned it up and replaced the filter and oring. We will see if it continues or not. The area was dry in October when I replaced the alternator.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick