Supercharger Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my snout kit from Ed. Looks solid. Came with basically everything needed to fix the rattle. I did, of course, go with the pulley upgrade to squeeze a few more ponies out of this mill. We will see how that works with the velocity ap tune and lower pulley. Talked to those guys and it should basically be plug and play. Maybe 30hp? Not sure really.
With both pulleys and the tune the Eaton is at its limit.

I am looking for an excuse to mount a Kenne bell twin screw. But I am not quite there yet so I hope this pulley works well.

Edward2595

Reaction score
I'd consider doing that rear heater tube or cross pipe since you'll have the supercharger out. It might be ok but most likely much easier to access since you'll have the supercharger out. Also, I'd change the supercharger oil itself - talk with Ed about that because I think they sell the kit for that too. I'm going to be doing mine as well.

This video shows them pulling the supercharger off a v8 range rover which is essentially the same for ours - might help a bit if you're doing it yourself.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd consider doing that rear heater tube or cross pipe since you'll have the supercharger out. It might be ok but most likely much easier to access since you'll have the supercharger out. Also, I'd change the supercharger oil itself - talk with Ed about that because I think they sell the kit for that too. I'm going to be doing mine as well.

This video shows them pulling the supercharger off a v8 range rover which is essentially the same for ours - might help a bit if you're doing it yourself.

Exactly my thoughts. I bought the rear crossover and i got the needed parts for the supercharger from Ed. He didn't think that you need to pull the whole unit to get the snout off, though... So i am not sure if the access to the crossover will improve or what, but regardless i am going to have my guy replace that piece. Anyway, so far so good on Ed's end. Ordered friday, arrived monday to CA from PA... Amazing. Thanks for the video, will check it out.

IMG_1168.jpeg

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andrew,

Did you just contact Ed through his ebay store? I see a couple of his kits on there, but not the exact one that you got. I also need to get two of the same kit...

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andrew,

Did you just contact Ed through his ebay store? I see a couple of his kits on there, but not the exact one that you got. I also need to get two of the same kit...
Yes. Through the store

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm that tsb gives me such a Wonderful warm feeling about quality! Not sure if there is anything to do about it given that it is out of warranty by 25k miles now. New supercharger is about $3k plus install.

Warranty up, that's designed in below that mileage when the part's known to fail.

Although frankly I don’t know if there is anything wrong enough to care about it.

Be careful, something not right is cheaper to repair than something that had a massive sudden failure. The big BOOM! your wallet's $$$$$$$$$$$$$.....~~=o&o>.....

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to affect this repair without removing the supercharger. I ended up just cleaning the throttle body and calling it a day. Also replaced the purge solenoid on the wife's LR4.

Looks like, if you wanted to replace the snout/coupler with the supercharger on the car, you would need to remove the front cross over pipe and maybe the water pump. Those bottom bolts are impossible to get to otherwise. Additionally, the bottom "pry point" are inaccessible with the supercharger still on the car. Just my two cents spending about an hour debating if I wanted to remove everything...

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is goon in tomorrow for this at my wrench. We will see how it goes. All parts including rear crossover are waiting for their new home.

Edward2595

Reaction score
I'll be doing mine at the end of next week myself. I also picked up a new rear crossover since I'll be pulling the supercharger. Post up if your shop runs into any issues.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing mine at the end of next week myself. I also picked up a new rear crossover since I'll be pulling the supercharger. Post up if your shop runs into any issues.
Issues so far have been the water pipe LR050935 and it’s two bolts. It cracked on removal. Did not replace that pipe when we did the crossover because you need to remove the snout or whole Sc to get to it. It was brittle and broke.
And the water pump and oil filter stand had to come off requiring new gaskets. Not a big deal but I guess you have to decide if you want to just pull the snout or to pull the whole SC. We opted for just the snout.
As you can see I got no deal on those pieces buying locally and last minute. Ouch for tiny parts. here are some pics. Now you can see the wear caused by the broken spring on the shaft of the snout assembly. And you can see the old coupler on the SC.
now we are heading into the rear crossover and put it all back together stage.

4D873F10-D9E3-492D-A117-36F61531C4EE.jpeg

7AF5B7D4-3E11-4F66-8F8D-959E72750532.jpeg

62B7C974-EDE6-48AE-874A-9823100DC99B.jpeg

FFB0E288-60A3-4DAF-ACA0-189F0DEDE44A.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72