Sway Bars -- Remove?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread was a "sub-thread" elsewhere on the site in a discussion about fuel tank skid plates. Now it's a separate thread...

Andy (Moose)

Mike, on same note about wheeling in Disco - do you still have sway bars intact? Or you removed those? Any issues with dislocating springs, if you did?

D

discomike

Oh yes, I have sway bars, ACE, and must say they give more flex then standard sway bars and are really great on the high speed curves, I like them.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah.. :) Forgot you got D2 with ACE.. Cant get off sway things with ACE, to my recollection..

Damn. Problem is - there is lots of information on how to deal with D2's, sways, but there is virtually nothing on D1's. Its like all the people who driving those without sway bars are driving in straight lines only :) And not doing any highway speed driving on them serpentine type of roads..

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei, I have no sway bars, and drive highway speeds and on serpentine roads, and I'm telling you, you hardly know the difference, even fully laden.

I have OME MD (764) springs in the rear, and stocks in the front (soon to be RTE HD), and there's a little tipping, but no more than otherwise with a stock rig. 96 D1.

Take 'em off and drive without them for a week, you can always reinstall them. That was my plan at least, although I never put 'em back on.

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Andy - i took rear one off yesterday night. And i actually can feel that its not there :) I am gonna drive like it for this week, and see if i like it or not. Still got to deside on front one - i have to lower it some more or take off completely. I have HD green monsters all around and OME shocks to deal with 3" lift (kills me, but i cant remember numbers - whatever John @ EE suggested it was .. :)). I probably just over reacting on it. Thing is - way how my '94 handles on highway with very soft turns freaks me out enough to slow to like 45-50m/h from 60-70.. Even with sways (well stock sway bushings - rubber ones are very cushy). But i am going to try to be brave :)

But i definetly like how it walks over obstacles - tested it with few ramps i had handy, and its been totally cool.

outdoorfever

Reaction score
the only reason I havent removed mine is for safety puposes. Driving at night to the lake, camping etc, I dont want to end up on the top after trying to avoid a deer or animal..or here in Oklahoma, a bad driver...of course then again, thats why I have my ARB. Flex greatly increases with the correct shocks and no sways..I just havent gotten to it yet, even after leaving the ground many times on the last trip, I dont find it necessary to have massive flex...someday tho. :wink:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM