Talk me Down !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Land Rover Joe.... AWESOME advice and points, thanks for sharing. I was actually hoping you would chime into this thread, as you definitely would know about the LR in Africa.

I hope your first semester of graduate school went well! I'll drop you a note.

-David

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to close out the question, I spent a few hours at my local toyota dealership today going through a new 2014 land Cruiser. I did a lot of homework and thought I knew everything I needed to know, so all that was left was the sniff test. Here's what I found. The truck was nice, it seemed well put together and I found it quite roomy and comfortable. There was a lot of things that I liked, like the reclining rear seats and the rear seemed roomier than the LR4. The nav/audio system was much better, but no where near my Audi or my wife's X5. The third row folds to the side and took a lot less room than I had thought it would be. There was a lot of room in the engine bay for Addons. Overall, it was really nice and I like the fit and finish. I took it for a short drive in town and out onto the interstate. The ride was good, but I would compare it to a top of the like pickup rather than the ride of the LR4. No complaint here, it's a different vehicle. At 380 hp, it really seemed like a slug. From a stoplight, I put my foot to the floor and it just seemed underpowered. It went, but nothing like the lr4. The rear seats fold forward, but in order for them to fold up properly, the front seats need to move forward. Easy, unless I need to drive it that way. Simply put, I just didn't like it. Aside from the electronics, there wasn't one thing that seemed comparable or better than my 2011 LR4. In the words of my wife, a Toyota is a Toyota, but a Landrover is a Landrover. Even though is an $80k Landrover, a monkey in a tuxedo is still a monkey. So there you go, at this point, I'd even say that I'd rather get a new Ram 2500 than to get the LC200.

Going forward, I'm keeping my 2011 LR4. I'm ordering compro wheels and new tires this week and rear drawers. I'll keep it until LR brings back the V8 or diesel. However long that takes. Between the LR4 and the LC200, they're really not even in the same league.. Issue closed, mind made up, moving on.

Thank you to all you guys for helping out and providing such valuable feedback, opinions, and facts. This forum alone makes having the LR more interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to close out the question, I spent a few hours at my local toyota dealership today going through a new 2014 land Cruiser. I did a lot of homework and thought I knew everything I needed to know, so all that was left was the sniff test. Here's what I found. The truck was nice, it seemed well put together and I found it quite roomy and comfortable. There was a lot of things that I liked, like the reclining rear seats and the rear seemed roomier than the LR4. The nav/audio system was much better, but no where near my Audi or my wife's X5. The third row folds to the side and took a lot less room than I had thought it would be. There was a lot of room in the engine bay for Addons. Overall, it was really nice and I like the fit and finish. I took it for a short drive in town and out onto the interstate. The ride was good, but I would compare it to a top of the like pickup rather than the ride of the LR4. No complaint here, it's a different vehicle. At 380 hp, it really seemed like a slug. From a stoplight, I put my foot to the floor and it just seemed underpowered. It went, but nothing like the lr4. The rear seats fold forward, but in order for them to fold up properly, the front seats need to move forward. Easy, unless I need to drive it that way. Simply put, I just didn't like it. Aside from the electronics, there wasn't one thing that seemed comparable or better than my 2011 LR4. In the words of my wife, a Toyota is a Toyota, but a Landrover is a Landrover. Even though is an $80k Landrover, a monkey in a tuxedo is still a monkey. So there you go, at this point, I'd even say that I'd rather get a new Ram 2500 than to get the LC200.

Going forward, I'm keeping my 2011 LR4. I'm ordering compro wheels and new tires this week and rear drawers. I'll keep it until LR brings back the V8 or diesel. However long that takes. Between the LR4 and the LC200, they're really not even in the same league.. Issue closed, mind made up, moving on.

Thank you to all you guys for helping out and providing such valuable feedback, opinions, and facts. This forum alone makes having the LR more interesting.

Thanks, ExPat!

This was an awesome review and exactly in line with what I thought when I was contemplating a 2013 Land Cruiser. I spent a lot of time comparing it to my 2011 LR4, drove it, etc. and it always went back to the LR4. You hit the nail on the head, they are just not in the same league. That's why when I traded in my 2011 LR4 (off the lot, leased), I went with a 2013 LR4 with exactly the options I wanted. I plan to keep my 2013 for a while - at least until they bring over a turbodiesel Defender. :)

Congratulations on your choice - very happy you were able to make the decision. I look forward to seeing your Comps - great choice, I LOVE mine. What kind of tires are you getting?

-David

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score

great write up, i did the same thing and like you decided keeping my 2011 LR4 was the better way to go.....now if you could live without the third row go and do the same thing with a grand cherokee summit ecodiesel and let me know your thoughts...

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should add my $.02
I traded in my Lexus LX570 for for my first LR4. LX570 is considered the luxury version upgrade of the Land Cruiser. What got me is spending $80,000 the Lexus, and feeling let down and basically jipped some how. Rather, I'm MUCH happier with my $54,000 LR4, and saving a lot on monthly payments. But WOW---awesome trade in value for Lexus!!!!!

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's way too funny, as I finally got rid of my LR4 and bought a "14 LX570, and couldn't be happier. Finally, I don't have to worry about buggy electronics, dashboard warning lights, faulty camera, plummeting resale value and regular visits with service department idiots.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking a Break

Well guys, its time for me to step away from LR for a while. As previously mentioned, I really wanted a new vehicle and I just couldn't trade in my 2011 for a new style 2014.

Last week I traded in my 2011 LR4 for a new 2014 Land Cruiser. So far I'm happy, but they are hardly comparable. I think the LC is a lot more rugged and reliable, but nothing beats the LR fit and finish. Everyday I find something that I miss about the LR and something new that I like with the LC.

I'll definitely be back. The Land Rover is a part of me and always will be. I'm crossing my fingers that somebody will wake up and build us a discovery to replace the LR4 and not a grocery getting mall runner. How about a simple diesel with 400+ torque so I can tow with it. Anyway, love Land Rover, Love this board, and will truly playing with the LR. I'll be around and will try to chime in when I can. I'm making big plans for the LC and even installed a VIAIR onboard air system this weekend. Babysteps.

PS. I still have five brand new Compromotive wheels in my garage looking for a new home.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys, its time for me to step away from LR for a while. As previously mentioned, I really wanted a new vehicle and I just couldn't trade in my 2011 for a new style 2014.

Last week I traded in my 2011 LR4 for a new 2014 Land Cruiser. So far I'm happy, but they are hardly comparable. I think the LC is a lot more rugged and reliable, but nothing beats the LR fit and finish. Everyday I find something that I miss about the LR and something new that I like with the LC.

I'll definitely be back. The Land Rover is a part of me and always will be. I'm crossing my fingers that somebody will wake up and build us a discovery to replace the LR4 and not a grocery getting mall runner. How about a simple diesel with 400+ torque so I can tow with it. Anyway, love Land Rover, Love this board, and will truly playing with the LR. I'll be around and will try to chime in when I can. I'm making big plans for the LC and even installed a VIAIR onboard air system this weekend. Babysteps.

PS. I still have five brand new Compromotive wheels in my garage looking for a new home.
Congratulations on the purchase and I can definitely understand your reasons. I love my LR4, but the idea of a Land Cruiser pops in my head now and then.

You have my e-mail, can you send me a few photos of your new 2014 LC?

Best of luck!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Once you get some quality time with it you should let us know the differences you see between the two. Would love to know more about the LC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72