Talk me Down !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plot thickens... I'm in djibouti this week. If you're not familiar with the place, it's not surprising, it nestled between Sudan, Somalia, and Ethiopia and is an incredible harsh environment. Intense 45C degree summers with constant dust and sand blowing. I've spent the majority of my life traveling the Middle East and Africa and I don't remember ever seeing a rougher place. That's the setup, here's my issue. I've been here a week, and aside from one incredibly beautiful 110, every other vehicle on the road seems to be a Toyota. There are hundreds of EU and UN land cruisers, here's an example at the parking lot in front of my hotel.
tutu8y8u.jpg
zy2u9uju.jpg
3u9ajage.jpg

My only point here is that while the LR may be more technically capable, this really gives a lot of validity to the Toyota. Seems if your looking for an apocalypse vehicle, the Toyota is the way to go. Before you bring it up, I completely acknowledge the obvious difference between then vehicles and the LC200. Just sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plot thickens... I'm in djibouti this week. If you're not familiar with the place, it's not surprising, it nestled between Sudan, Somalia, and Ethiopia and is an incredible harsh environment. Intense 45C degree summers with constant dust and sand blowing. I've spent the majority of my life traveling the Middle East and Africa and I don't remember ever seeing a rougher place. That's the setup, here's my issue. I've been here a week, and aside from one incredibly beautiful 110, every other vehicle on the road seems to be a Toyota. There are hundreds of EU and UN land cruisers, here's an example at the parking lot in front of my hotel.

My only point here is that while the LR may be more technically capable, this really gives a lot of validity to the Toyota. Seems if your looking for an apocalypse vehicle, the Toyota is the way to go. Before you bring it up, I completely acknowledge the obvious difference between then vehicles and the LC200. Just sharing.

Wow, that's pretty darn awesome. There is no doubt that the LC is the king of reliability and just goes on and on in such conditions. Post more photos, such an adventure.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. Whatever your decision, you can't lose!

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but Land Rover is so much prettier!

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Expat - Are you suggesting that because there are more LC's that LR's in Djibouti that the LC is the better choice for you? I would rethink your criteria for making that decision. While it's clear the folks in Djibouti have a preference for the LC, you should make the decision on what YOU prefer.

Expat93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I'm not, just observing. This was like noticing a lot of diesel 1 tons at a truck stop.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in total love with my LR4 right now. I just went without it for a couple weeks... was driving a crap 4 cylinder rental car, the ones with cheap plastic, no arm rests, not even an overhead map light!... got mine back, it was cold, flipped on the heated steering wheel... OMG... love it!

I need to get some confidence back though, I was driving around glaring at other cars because they were within 5 feet of my baby. Stay away! its fresh paint!

How can you not love these rovers! :p

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also in the region (Qatar) and while Land Cruiser is absolutely king of the roads over here, I honestly put it up to local ignorance. The LC is an amazing vehicle, but its got a long history here and is more of a status symbol than anything. There simply isnt any exposure to what these Rovers can do!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in total love with my LR4 right now. I just went without it for a couple weeks... was driving a crap 4 cylinder rental car, the ones with cheap plastic, no arm rests, not even an overhead map light!... got mine back, it was cold, flipped on the heated steering wheel... OMG... love it!

I need to get some confidence back though, I was driving around glaring at other cars because they were within 5 feet of my baby. Stay away! its fresh paint!

How can you not love these rovers! :p
That happens to me even when I go to UT and drive our Tahoe - fees like crap compared to the LR4.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

Land Rover Joe here; Apologies for my absenteeism--out and about with other things. If I may offer my two cents regarding this thread. I do like this topic.

1. Apples and oranges. I know africa, and Djibouti, fairly well (I liked the picture of the Kemp!). It is difficult if not impossible to compare the LC's you saw (new Africa export HZJ78/79's) with the models available in the US. In fact, I don't even think the HZJ78/79's are street legal here (should sound familiar to the Defender fans.) In addition, as you note, the conditions in Djibouti are extreme, and "less is more" in that sense (less technology equals less problems). Of course, I drove my 2010 LR4 up and down the place with no significant issues, with much more style and comfort than the Toyota's (it was the only LR4 in the country; I don't even think there was an operational LR3 in Djibouti). Just impossible to compare, and I have driven Toyota's a LOT in Africa. HJZ78/79 is a really great truck off-road. Perhaps the very best, especially in harsh conditions like Djibouti. Also, there are some political reasons why there are a lot of Land Cruisers and few Land Rovers on the streets in DJ.

2. The Land Rover Label. Land Rover is "selling out" as a brand. It is looking at higher retail markets and forsaking its "off-road," all-terrain, devil-may-care, muddy-boots past. There is just no other way of saying it. There are, of course, many reasons for this, but as you noted--a big truck like the LR4 with a V6 is silly--I totally agree and would not have bought one if it did not have the more powerful engine. If you don't like it, then you should look at other options and that is the future for Land Rover--more money to be made with the soccer moms and Ranger Rover buying exec / urban warrior types. Just look at the "new defender." Horrific. I would rather drive a Lada or a Saab.

3. There are always options. Toyota maybe the most reliable vehicle in the world, and one of the fairest priced. However, depending upon what you want may influence your decision. The LR4 series is probably one of the most off-the-shelf, off-road capable vehicles in the universe (would certainly beat the mars rover!) But the mercedes benz g series, while very pricey, is a really great truck and has a powerful V8. Looks sharp too.

4. The future of energy. Gasoline is getting more complicated and the future uncertain. I have had a lot of problems in Africa with low octane gas, bad air quality, and high temps/low RPM's. But the fuel was always clean and perfect. In the states, I am finding blends with way more than 10% ethanol and gas stations cheating on their %'s. That means death to a high-performance engine like the Jaguar V8 which was engineered to ONLY use 100% high octane gasoline. If we can't run these trucks the way they were meant to be run, then we need to get electric cars or something because we are going to completely ruin them.

Thus, my two cents: if you want tough and burly with a powerful V8 and fully ready off-road truck (and don't mind the $$$), check out the "G-wagon."

Best,
Land Rover Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72