Terrible audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In know some parts of it are located in the passenger side cargo area behind the plastic trim.

Think just to the rear of the second row of seats, and just under the rear window.

I think it is the amp, satellite module, and a Bluetooth module, but don't quote me on that. It has been a while since I was in there.

Webecinya

Reaction score
Pretty sure I figured out my issue. Prior owner had an audio shop install in seat dvd headrests and I traced the wiring. Apparently they tapped into the factory system with speaker wiring to allow tv sound through audio system. I unplugged the system power and it seemed to sound better. I assume this is putting load or interfering with factory set up.
I’m thinking of taking all of that dvd system out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I figured out my issue. Prior owner had an audio shop install in seat dvd headrests and I traced the wiring. Apparently they tapped into the factory system with speaker wiring to allow tv sound through audio system. I unplugged the system power and it seemed to sound better. I assume this is putting load or interfering with factory set up.
I’m thinking of taking all of that dvd system out.

Rip that shittttt out STAT lol

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The audio in my '12 is the base-level audio system. It's fine, but not great. I had collected a bunch of nice home audio equipment and decided to sell it all off and just keep one home system, so I took the money and thought about upgrading the stereo in my LR4. The best local audio shop said that the LR4's audio system was designed to work in unison, and replacing the speakers without also replacing the amps and source wouldn't yield a good result. All told, upgrading the audio in the LR4 the correct way would cost $4-5k, or more. Wasn't worth it to me, considering car audio equipment loses most of its value the moment it's installed (my home audio stuff has been gaining in value). I decided to just live with the LR4's stereo as is.

That said, others on here have dropped in focal speakers and have liked them. I've thought about just doing that and see what happens, but haven't yet.

I was just searching for something and came across this post from 2010 where a guy looks to have done pretty much what the local car stereo place told me would have to be done to achieve any real upgrades to our stock stereo systems.

https://www.landroverworld.org/posts/108197/

The price appears to be in the same ballpark I was told, too.

Looks like that guy made a minor update in his last post (in 2018) here:

https://www.landroverworld.org/posts/181842/

Webecinya

Reaction score
Bumping this back up. I removed all the trash dvd headrest TVs and still the audio is awful. Glad I don’t drive this daily I’d sell it.

This has to be a simple fix. Could my audio amp be out? The best way I can explain is there is no mid level sound. Lots of high and the sub. The high is painful to listen to and no adjustment in the settings resolves it.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In your original post you mentioned connecting your phone via the port (assuming you meant with a cable). Didn't they introduce audio streaming via Bluetooth in MY12? If so, have you tried connecting your phone that way to see if the BT module produces any better sound than the direct cable? Unlikely that it would under normal circumstances, but if the BT connection bypasses funky wiring then maybe it will help. You've probably already tried this but it's the only thing that comes to mind other than a faulty amp.

Oliharan92

Reaction score
Hi, did you ever solve this issue? I just purchased a LR4 and this is the exact problem I'm facing

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would be interesting for you to find another LR4 with the HK system to compare. with the po work that was done im sure you have a specific problem but would be good to compare

Sent from my NoteAir using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV