Thank you to whoever posted the suggestion of using sand mode in deep snow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After Christmas we headed up to Maine for a week of skiing. Of course it rains all day Monday then freezes into solid ice everywhere on Tuesday. Typical New England skiing. But Thursday night into Friday morning we got 30" of heavy snow along with 50 mph winds that created huge drifts. Lifts couldn't even open until 11am, so I decided to dig out the car. We're at a condo so cars are parked side-by-side with nowhere to put all the snow on the car. So I cleared a spot in the windshield and attempted to drive down a long unplowed driveway to a parking lot at the end and clean off the LR4 there.

Raise it up, engage low gear, select snow mode, but the Nokian winter tires spin on the solid ice surface below. So I remember the post here and switch to sand mode then drive right out. It was a proud moment in front of fellow shovelers. Thank you for that advice! An Escalade, X5 and Explorer all tried the same thing but they all got stuck. That Escalade is really heavy to push. My friend's Pilot also made it after some back and forth and digging, thanks in part to his brand new DMV1 winter tires. LR4 on left, Pilot on right:
IMG_0579.JPG

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a 4 foot tall smurf hat your LR has! I would have paid to see you driving down the road with that still on..

Well done!

Mike

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the feeling, I live in Lewiston. and got 22" of the cold fluffy stuff from that storm, on top of a nice 1/4" layer of ice on the back roads. Makes for an interesting ride.
I too am running the DM-V1's, not perfect but get the job done.
I tend to modulate between the "snow" and "sand" mode depending on the condition. I also find the "ruts/mud" mode is great to get you moving (locked center diff, and low range).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635