The obligatory "Show off your LR3' thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BJ....comparing an LR3 to a Sienna is not going to make you any points on this forum. Give me a f*ckin break. I don't know or care what kind of vehicle you wheeled before, but the LR3 just might challenge that M-60 tank you referred to.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and as for the comments on the LR Experience driving school vs. going out with a local club; here are my thoughts after a few beers:

I think Nathan's advice is good. I think that many people don't understand how to wheel the modern Rovers. The biggest difference is that they have a lot of ground clearance down the middle and less wheel travel than say a Defender. So that means you take a different line than a Disco would....you protect your sill and worry less about your diffs. I've done the LR Experience driving schools at Carmel and Montebello....I was there for work and had the opportunity to do it for cheap. I've also wheeled a lot with a local club.

That said, each offers something different. At the LR schools, the vehicle is tested more than the driver. You will experience 35 degree side-slopes and 40 degree hill climbs/descents without fear that you will lose the vehicle. That is VALUABLE. You will also learn a ton about gear selection and how to react to many things like sliding off-camber or failing a hill climb. In the other scenario, wheeling with a local club will test your mettle. You will be put into a "baptism by fire" sort of scenario. On the plus side you can follow most Rovers without fear of flopping but need to worry about your sills (unless you have sliders).

Overall....both experiences are invaluable and present a different piece of your overall education. I'm happy that I've had both.

_Chris_

Reaction score
dsci0162k.jpg

dsci0190f.jpg

dsci0247h.jpg

dsci0261a.jpg

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed - beautiful! At first I thought it was the cover of the LR accessories book. Let me know if that crooked lamp guard bothers you, Id be happy to PC it.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you only knew how many times I have to rotate those damn lights/covers ... :albertein

Too many bugs on the front for a catalogue shot :biggrin:

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your LR3 IS your most capable vehicle! You just don't know it yet.

:laugh: This isn't a "post a pic of your wheeling rig" thread, but I think you'd agree that my bronco is a fair bit more capable than my LR3, at least in a wheeling scenario. However, the field evens up a bit when we consider road worthiness.

Some great pictures guys!

J.D.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:laugh: I think you'd agree that my bronco is a fair bit more capable than my LR3, at least in a wheeling scenario.
J.D.

I was directing that comment at a different poster, J.D.

I love an older Bronco, that's for sure. That said, I'd bet the LR3 (properly equipped) could find better traction than your Bronco, but ultimately the short wheelbase and great approach/departure/breakover angles of the Bronco would enable it to go more places than a stock LR3.

I've been on a few trail runs where the vaunted Defender was behind me spinning wheels on terrain that I'd just walked over. Again though, the Defender's superior angles would win the day.

My LR3 (when I'm offroad) has a 45 degree approach angle and 41 degree departure angle...but it's only fair to compare stock rigs so I have to go with the factory-stated 37/30 for comparisons.

Agree that this has been a fun thread!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99