There she blows, (maybe coolant crossover)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait. The thermostat housing is plastic too?

:eek:

tex_jag

Reaction score
Wait. The thermostat housing is plastic too?

:eek:

Yes!, and with a lot of bends and glued/plastic welded joints, mine had leaked from a joint, I got the part back from the Indi shop but I haven't had a closer look at it yet.
The part is only about 90$ on the web at Roverparts, but when you are stranded, you can't be arguing about prices with the shop doing the work :(.

lr035124g_large.jpg

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap. Yet another part to buy. At least I haven't installed the front & rear coolant pipes I bought last year. I want to do 1 large job, not 10 small ones. Thanks for the info!

:(

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. so I've not read on this thread that my year (2015) has poorly designed pipes and doesn't have poorly designed pipes.

Which is it? Should I be thinking replacement or not?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. so I've not read on this thread that my year (2015) has poorly designed pipes and doesn't have poorly designed pipes.

I would say it depends on mileage and what pipes you have.

Like I posted earlier. If your upper crossover pipe looks like the left picture, you should probably upgrade to the right picture before it splits along the seam:

Screenshot_20210115-121403.png

furbeerl

Reaction score

My 2015 just went front and rear with water pump. There is a terms mismatch here, the shop manager said the crossovers don't fail (cough) and she'd only ever seen one fail and it was at nearly 200k. She said the front and rear coolant manifolds do go bad and start developing crack and are plastic. So, have we been having what they call coolant manifolds go bad or is she confused? The many page shop receipt stated it was coolant manifolds and water pump and related stuff.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant manifolds sounds like the plastic pipes we are discussing above. Same part, different name.

Although I do wonder what "crossovers" she thought you were referring to.

o_O

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2005 LR3 developed a leak in the coolant recovery jug and the damn sensor on the bottom didn't register the lack of fluid. (No fluid - no sensor alert). I blew the head gasket and $4,000 later, the mechanic said "Oh, BTW, you need another recovery container." $15 at the local junk yard. Having a LR3 is a love-hate relationship that you can't win.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 LR3 developed a leak in the coolant recovery jug and the damn sensor on the bottom didn't register the lack of fluid. (No fluid - no sensor alert). I blew the head gasket and $4,000 later, the mechanic said "Oh, BTW, you need another recovery container." $15 at the local junk yard. Having a LR3 is a love-hate relationship that you can't win.

If a leaking jug can grenade the engine why would you use a $15 junk yard special after rebuilding the engine? Spend the $50.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72