Tire whoas again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last night took the rover for alignment, rotation and tire balance. Last time the tire company busted a shock as they didn't support the left rear control arm and over extended the shock. They paid for a new strut so all good. Well last night after a 3 hour time period (40 minutes quoted) the power goes out throughout the city of Wilmington and my vehicle is stuck some 5 foot in the air on the lift that will not go down.
Finally I went out and looked at it and told them that I could put her in Rock Crawl mode and using the lift ramps walk her down backwards off the lift. There was much pessimism as to this working/clearing their ramps. None the less, I told them either I do this or they pay for an Uber for me to get home and back the next morning to pick the vehicle up. So they placed some 2x4's in their ramps and I walked her right off.
Wish I had a video of it just to send to my kids/wife who ask "Why is your truck so high"? It's really not that high, wife just has T-rex arms for legs. I keep telling her $1K of rock sliders would give her a nice step, but she ain't buying it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of questions....

1. Why would the lower control arm need to be supported? I have never heard of this.
2. If you were 5' in the air, how did the 2x4s help? I can't picture the configuration of their lift/ramp.

Ruper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why the original tire people busted the shock. I assumed they over extended the shock without disabling the suspension autolevel. Maybe the shock just failed at the right time, not sure. When the air evacuated out of the system the rover wouldn't lift due to the height sensor being out of range (Lift Rods) so I had to go in and have then lift the body and let the front left control arm drop so that the height sensor could be in range. Basically it sounds like NTB guy didn't know what he was doing and honestly at the time, I knew little about the vehicle so just took his word. I support the arm due to not having a jack high enough to lift the wheels off the ground when pulling tires by lifting on a lift point with floor jack and using a small hydraulic bottle jack to hold the arm up so I can get the vehicle on stands and the tire off the ground.

As far as the lift the other night, the ramps were on hinges and had a piece that stuck up off the lift about 4" at that hinge joint. They were afraid it would damage the ramps, when the LR rolled over it, so they wanted to make sure these top pieces didn't get bent I guess. I had them place the 2x4's just in front of this protrusion so the tire rolled over.
Should have had them video it I guess.
Anyway returned tonight and they redid the alignment so it's good for the Chicago trip.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay....that makes more sense. it is indeed hard to find a jack that will get the dang tires off the ground!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99