To flush, or not to flush?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to change the transmission fluid and coolant soon and was wondering, is it worth it to have them flushed or just to drain and replace the fluids? I'm thinking that if I just drain either, there will still be some old fluid left in either system. But is it enough to make it worth flushing? I'd hate to pay somebody to flush either system but if it's worth it, then I will. Right now, I don't think it would be a big deal to just drain them both and replace the fluid. It would be cheaper that way. So what do you guys think?

BTW, truck has 88k.

Last edited:
D

discomike

Mike,
How many miles are on your truck?
Alot depends on your mileage. The coolant isn't as important as the transmission. If you can find a shop with the correct adapters to do the trannt do it. It is not just the issue of getting out all the old oil, the chemical back flush removes all the laquer and varnish, much less all the wear material that gets trapped in the valve body.
Go for the tranny, if your engine is running warm or you haven't been real good about coolant changes, do it, otherwise let that one go.
The other important flush is the engine oil, you would be surprised how much junk comes of with this flush. As bad as Rover engines are about running rich and carbon, this is a real plus.
Good luck,
Mike J.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With 88k on the Disco, I would get the Trans flushed, but that is me. I have 106k on my Disco and other than the dealer I can't find anyone nearby that can do the flush...Still looking though.

Central WV is great for mud and snow, but don't try to take you Land Rover to your local Mechanic for indepth repairs.

D

discomike

Joey,
I agree with you, 106K is to many miles to do a flush for the first time, it would cause more harm than good.
I think 88K is in the grey area, and might even lean towards more frequent fluid changes, say every 15K, instead of a flush.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that before Mike, curious though, what harm could it do flushing with so many miles? What do you think about the coolant? Should that be flushed or not b/c of high mileage?

D

discomike

The problem with flushing at that mileage, kind of goes back to ,"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". The mechanics concern is that it can clean it out too clean too quick and caused slippage where you didn't have it before.
Yes I think flushing the coolant at your mileages is good only because it will remove the debris the commonily settles in the lower mid section of the radiator, thus improving your coolant flow.
Mike J.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike! Do you happen to know the capacity of the transmission? I believe that it should be dexron III, right? Also, I'm going to go get new sparkplugs as well, what is the gap setting for the '98?

TIA,
Mike

D

discomike

Mike,
The total capacity of the tranny is apx.11 3/4 qts. of Dextron 3. As for the spark plugs, you'll have to ask the auto parts store for you particular year.
Mike J.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Mike,

Should I flush mine? I'm in the grey area and as I dive deeper into this rover the more I'm finding how much its been neglected.

D

discomike

Justin,
Your mileage is low enough that flushing the trans, coolant and engine would be a great idea. The engine you can doe, especially now that you have already pulled the pan and cleaned it. The coolant system, either you could do it or have it done, it would be more effective if a shop back flushes it with chemicals. They Tranny is a must to keep it happy for the next 50 or 6o K.
Take care,
Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72