Towing too much for 2018 Disco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kitesurf Dad

Reaction score
I know this thread is pretty old but I am wondering about what nhskibm says. I have a 2017 Disco Td6 and according to this https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/document/3D/2017/T22693/22188_en_GBR/proc/G1942179 the tow weight is 7,717 lbs and tongue weight is 10% or 771. But nhskibm says he tows 7,600lbs with 835 tongue. So is it OK to go over the tongue weight a bit? I also am looking to tow an airstream that is approx those specs.

Also what else do I need? I'm a newby so all I know is that I need a brake controller. Do I need a special type of ball/hitch? My tow set up was installed by dealer who I believe outsourced it to a local shop nearby (in other words it was not factory installed but it is Land Rover OEM tow set up).

nhskibm

Reaction score
To be clear:

1. I use weight distribution which offsets the weights (simple google and lots of realistic %'s).

2. LR's manual has a YELLOW caution box about using weight distribution with the air ride suspension. If you are not set up so the trailer is completely level and the WD being used properly you WILL blow your air ride and that Yellow caution box is LR's way of saying "womp womp, no warranty for you".

I know this from first hand experience - had my 2016 LR4 set-up perfectly (with a curt hitch btw, not stock), never had an issue. Used our 2014 RRSSC without adjusting the ball height, the trailer wasn't perfectly level, and the air ride went. So far I have 70k miles on the D5 TD6, 50% of that is towing, and I'm leaving tomorrow on another 10k mile trip with the AS (which is 7300, not 7600, sorry on that) - haven't had an issue and with the WD I'm within weight specs.

3. Note that this is first hand experience, 1 guy, 1 girl, 2 dogs, on the internet. Some super conservative individuals will tell you I'm nuts, I'm violating a yellow caution in the manual, and shame on me. Others laugh at me and tell me stories about the 15,000 pounds they towed with their work truck that was capped at 10,000 pounds. This personal experience includes going up and over Berthoud a few times, I70, the black hills, 50+ mph winds in the plains, twisties in New England and aside from my terrible tailgating habits and a couple squealing brake stops the D5+25' FB AS has been wonderful.

So wonderful I've walked away from two new Defender orders because I struggle to justify it as a better truck because despite the 110's stiffer chassis and longer wheelbase than the D5 I love my Seat Pack 5 / Off Road Pack 2 specially ordered D5.

Reaction score
I upgraded from a Geo Pro (4000ish lbs) to a Mini-Lite (6000lbs). My tongue weight Is pretty darn close to the 770 max. My D5, is a v6 Supercharged with a 8200 tow rating but still has a 771 TW rating, which I thought was a bit odd since I've not come across a tow vehicle I can remember that had anything different than a TW at 10% of tow rate. I also upgraded to KO2's (275-55-20) and they made a big difference. This thing is a towing champ as nhskibm stated and I walked away from a new Defender for the same reasons. I live in CO and up and down is all there is! I do not use a WDH (though I do when I tow with my Tundra), however I did find I needed a friction anti-sway with the larger (26ft) trailer. This was after spending lots of time getting everything dialed in and level. If I were to go with any heavier a trailer like nhskibm I would probably attempt a WD as well. I use a simple aluminum ball mount (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Fastway/DTBM4200.html) to keep the weight down and trailer closer to the hitch. I think my ball is rated for 15K lbs... just remember that your set up is only as good as its weakest member so make sure your ball, ball mount and WD (if you so choose) are rated high enough for your Airstream. I'm guessing you've figured out by now that a Ford F150 plug adaptor for your trailer brake is plug and play (
).

Good luck and enjoy. The best part of towing with a D5 is once you get to your destination, the exploring is a blast.

hevykevy420

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea how LR advertises an 8200lb tow rating on the D5. I wish my towing experience was remotely close to Mr. Williams' experience. In my opinion towing anything near the stated tow limits on this vehicle is difficult to impossible. Here is my experience:

Purchased a '20 Discovery 5 3.0 supercharged with the factory receiver and towing package June 2020, specifically to tow a 25' Grand Design 21BHE with a dry weight of 4,700lbs. We thought the air suspension would be an advantage for towing, and assumed that we could tow safely being well under LR's stated towing limit. Estimating an additional 1,300 lbs for payload and ancillary items in the RV, my assumption is/was we would be towing around 6,000 lbs give or take, still well under the LR tow and tongue weights. I admit that I have not had the travel trailer loaded on a cat scale, but being somewhat cautious about how much weight we carry in there (generally no fresh or grey water, no generator, not packed to the gills, etc.), I strongly believe we were not overloaded or anywhere near the tow limit of the D5. Its just 2 adults and a child also, not a family of 6 with luggage.

I installed a brake controller and we picked up our travel trailer in Amarillo, and set out for Colorado. Pretty much immediately, we realized that the 21BHE travel trailer pushes the rear axle of the LR around, to the point where it is difficult to travel anywhere near safe road and highway speeds. If there are any even mild cross winds, the trailer sway (or trailer steering the D5) is magnified, to *** clenching levels. Semi trucks and the air they displace also caused many *** clenching moments.

We limped it along and stopped in Colorado springs and had a friction sway bar installed, which helped maybe incrementally, but having since put a lot of miles towing the trailer since the friction sway bar was installed, it did not magically cure anything, or instill massive confidence or the ability to tow at what I would deem safe speeds. Now to be clear....I'm not wanting to tow 75mph on the interstate, but being passed by semi's going 15-20mph faster than me because I'm forced to go way too slow because of winds on the highway, or not being able to carry 55mph on TX 2 lane highways with 65-70mph speed limits.... in my opinion is not safe. And in these situations I'm observing other trailers/pick up truck combos while not blasting by me (usually), being able to safely maintain a higher speed, so I know its something unique to the LR. I'm also not entirely "risk adverse" so please don't think I'm just a grandpa that doesn't know how to tow a trailer. We completed our Colorado loop with the hardest stretch being the last Amarillo to Austin leg on the interstate. To be frank, the towing experience absolutely sucked for any roads requiring a speed over 50mph, and during any even minor wind or gust conditions.

Since that initial trip, I've flipped my ball mount to the rise position, and added a 2" rise ball. I measured everything carefully and using a construction level on the floor of the trailer determined that the RV dealer set up the mount at a slight downward angle on the ball mount. With the revised ball mount setup with the trailer now perfectly level, I honestly have not noted much or any improvement. I've tried and checked everything I could possibly check, trailer tire pressure, the discovery tire pressures, loading weight differently in the trailer, etc., and I still haven't found much or any improvement. We tried taking this issue up with the LR dealership and LR direct, and got pretty much nowhere with them. We inquired about why we could not put a distribution hitch on, and never got any clear answer on that.

This is unfortunate because we bought this vehicle specifically for the claimed tow weights and towing this travel trailer occasionally. I'm now not comfortable heading longer distances, because I'm worried I'm just going to have a travel day with 10+ mph cross winds and be stuck somewhere on the side of the road, unable to tow. Try to go West or North from central Texas, and not have a 10-20mph windy/gusty day (good luck). So I more or less have relegated our travel trailer to local use only, which is not what we bought it for.

If it were my choice, I'd already have gotten rid of the Disco for a new diesel Tahoe, but she loves the disco, so i'm stuck with it. I'm at the point where I'd really like to try a WD style hitch on it, as a last ditch effort. My wife is really against it. I called Curt and confirmed that they sell a WD hitch where you could set it up so that it is not actually distributing weight, but it would still provide 4 point sway control. I'm assuming my issue is the sway related, and by reducing sway, I could have a better and safer towing experience. If the hitch is not altering the trailer weight in anyway, what would be the harm to the air suspension, hitch receiver, or vehicle? I'm hesitant to invest the money in the hitch, however, if it does not help anything, and might void the warranty or break the car. The W/D style hitches also appear to really move the tow ball further from the bumper. LR advises a max 6" distance from the hitch pin to the tow ball. Well good luck finding a ball mount with those specs anywhere in the US, the shortest ball mount I could find that I've been using all along is 7.5" from hitch pin to ball. But either way, the w/d style hitches have a much, much longer distance from the receiver to the ball so another reason I'm hesitant to go against the owners manual.

Scott, and/or others who upgraded from the OE pirelli tire......did upgrading to the A/T tires with thicker sidewalls make that big of an improvement for towing? Had you towed your mini-lite before/after installing those tires? I'm wondering if the conditions in TX (open plains + wind) and the limitations of the short wheelbase discovery are just insurmountable, regardless of what gear I throw at the vehicle. It is so flat and windy getting out of central texas, dragging a huge sail (travel trailer) might just be beyond the capability of the disco regardless of the tow capacity stated by LR.

Last edited:

nhskibm

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea how LR advertises an 8200lb tow rating on the D5. I wish my towing experience was remotely close to Mr. Williams' experience. In my opinion towing anything near the stated tow limits on this vehicle is difficult to impossible. Here is my experience:

Purchased a '20 Discovery 5 3.0 supercharged with the factory receiver and towing package June 2020, specifically to tow a 25' Grand Design 21BHE with a dry weight of 4,700lbs. We thought the air suspension would be an advantage for towing, and assumed that we could tow safely being well under LR's stated towing limit. Estimating an additional 1,300 lbs for payload and ancillary items in the RV, my assumption is/was we would be towing around 6,000 lbs give or take, still well under the LR tow and tongue weights. I admit that I have not had the RV loaded on a cat scale, but being somewhat cautious about how much weight we carry in there (generally no fresh or grey water, no generator, etc.), I strongly believe we were not overloaded or anywhere near the tow limit of the D5. Its just 2 adults and a child also, not a family of 6 with luggage.

I installed a brake controller and we picked up our travel trailer in Amarillo, and set out for Colorado. Pretty much immediately, we realized that the 21BHE travel trailer pushes the rear axle of the LR around, to the point where it is difficult to travel anywhere near safe road and highway speeds. If there are any even mild cross winds, the trailer sway (or trailer steering the D5) is magnified, to *** clenching levels. We limped it along and stopped in Colorado springs and had a friction sway bar installed, which helped maybe incrementally, but having since put a lot of miles towing the trailer since the friction sway bar was installed, it did not magically cure anything, or instill massive confidence or the ability to tow at safer interstate speeds. Now to be clear....I'm not wanting to tow 75mph on the interstate, but being passed by semi's going 15-20mph faster than me because I'm forced to go way too slow because of winds on the highway, or not being able to carry 55mph on TX 2 lane highways with 65-70mph speed limits.... in my opinion is not safe. And in these situations I'm observing other trailers/pick up truck combos while not blasting by me (usually), being able to safely maintain a higher speed, so I know its something unique to the LR. I'm also not entirely "risk adverse" so please don't think I'm just a grandpa that doesn't know how to tow a trailer. We completed our Colorado loop with the hardest stretch being the last Amarillo to Austin leg on the interstate. To be frank, the towing experience absolutely sucked for any roads requiring a speed over 50mph, and during any even minor wind or gust conditions.

Since that initial trip, I've flipped my ball mount to the rise position, and added a 2" rise ball. I measured everything carefully and using a construction level on the floor of the trailer determined that the RV dealer set up the mount at a slight downward angle on the ball mount. With the revised ball mount setup with the trailer perfectly level, I honestly have not noted much or any improvement. I've tried and checked everything I could possibly check, trailer tire pressure, the discovery tire pressures, loading weight differently in the trailer, etc., and I still haven't found much or any improvement. We tried taking this issue up with the LR dealership and LR direct, and got pretty much nowhere with them. We inquired about why we could not put a distribution hitch on, and never got any clear answer on that.

This is unfortunate because we bought this vehicle specifically for the claimed tow weights. I'm now not comfortable heading longer distances, because I'm worried I'm just going to have a travel day with 10+ mph cross winds and be stuck somewhere on the side of the road, unable to tow. Try to go West or North from central Texas, and not have a 10-20mph windy/gusty day (good luck). So I more or less have relegated our travel trailer to local use only, which is not what we bought it for.

If it were my choice, I'd already have gotten rid of the Disco for a new diesel Tahoe, but she loves the disco, so i'm stuck with it. I'm at the point where I'd really like to try a WD style hitch on it, as a last ditch effort. My wife is really against it. I called Curt and confirmed that they sell a WD hitch where you could set it up so that it is not actually distributing weight, but it would still provide 4 point sway control. If the hitch is not altering the trailer weight in anyway, what would be the harm to the air suspension, hitch receiver, or vehicle? I'm hesitant to invest the money in the hitch, however, if it does not help anything, and might void the warranty or break the car. The W/D style hitches also appear to really move the tow ball further from the bumper. LR advises a max 6" distance from the hitch pin to the tow ball. Well good luck finding a ball mount with those specs anywhere in the US, the shortest ball mount I could find that I've been using all along is 7.5" from hitch pin to ball.

Scott, did upgrading to the A/T tires make that big of an improvement for towing? Had you towed your mini-lite before/after installing those tires? I'm wondering if the conditions in TX (open plains + wind) and the limitations of the short wheelbase discovery are just insurmountable. It is so flat and windy getting out of central texas, dragging a huge sail (travel trailer) might just be beyond the capability of the disco regardless of the tow capacity stated by LR.
Wow - I'm pretty shocked with your experience! We just passed 76k on our 2017 TD6 and I've calculated that about 50% of it has been towing our 25' FB International. Do I get blown around a little going through Kansas? Absolutely - but so do big rigs. Would a Trail Boss (or similar) be "better" - no doubt. But just did the whole month in CO and did NH to OH to NE to Golden to Breck to Aspen to Steamboat and then back east, 6k miles, about 14mpg, up and over some passes, averaged probably 75-80 on the highway, and no problems with towing. And in the midst of those travels I scratched the **** out of the D5 in the woods - namely going up to Hahn Peak north of Steamboat on Jeep Trails. We're getting set to leave again this Friday from NH to CO and D5 is ready to go. I wouldn't doubt that the fact that we are towing an Airstream has something to do with our experience but I'm still shocked to hear how terrible your experience is with your truck! I do think our KO2s in 275/55/20 help as well over the stock tires - and they look waaaaaaay better :). Good luck!

hevykevy420

Reaction score
I wish it wasn't so, and I could only dream of towing that far, and at those speeds, over that terrain! I would be thrilled to just average 60-65mph on the interstate. Maybe your rounded AS has a major advantage over the slab sided fiberglass trailers?!

Another point of contention I have is that I feel like the 3.0 gas engine is far too underpowered to tow anything near 8,200 lbs. Constantly hunting for gears, downshifting, the damn software doesn't even lock out 8th gear. You'd think if you're in towing mode the car would lock out overdrive, but I could not figure out any way to do that. I'm sure the diesel engine is much more adept at towing, and I would have loved to have bought one, but there literally was I think a single diesel '20 in the entire country showing on LR's inventory when we were shopping, and we were not going to order a car from the factory or buy one across the country. Good luck with your trip!

hevykevy420

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow-up my post with an update regarding towing. I recently swapped out the OEM pirelli tires for some General Grabber ATx tires in 275/55/20. This size is oversized, but fits perfectly with no mods needed. They also have either a much stiffer sidewall, or additional plies, or both (I'm really not sure), but they weigh over 20lbs per tire more than the pirellis I believe. We do hit up the trails in Big Bend occasionally, and I figured for towing they might help.

Aired up to about 53lbs and we towed our 21BHE over Thanksgiving break a few hours to lake Buchanan. While we did not have high crosswinds, they seem to be a marginal improvement, at least by the seat of the pants test. Its hard to test apples to apples, when wind, road, and traffic conditions play a lot into towing, but we'll see once we hit more of an interstate towing trip on a windy day (this trip was entirely off the interstate).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV