Tread make/model match for Conti 4x4 Contact?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I unavoidably ran over some vehicle accident debris last night and punctured my right rear tire. Spent a good amount of time in a grocery store parking lot changing it.

Here's the issue: All of my existing tires have about 3,200 miles on them, the full size spare has 0 (zero) - Brand new. I don't want to keep the spare on the vehicle too long for fear that it may put stress on the drivetrain given the different tread wear sizes - I made that mistake on my old L322 which threw drivetrain alerts on the dash. Although at 3,200 miles, I am not sure if it is that marked of a difference??

Anyway, I tried searching this morning for 255/55/19 Continental 4x4 Contact and it pretty much does not exist.

So, has anyone here experienced the same issue but found a great tread matching replacement tire/brand/model ? If yes, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even for crappy tires such as the Conti stockers, 3200 miles is almost new. Don't worry about it and use the full size spare for as long as necessary, the difference in circumference due to tread wear is so negligible the car won't even notice. In fact, it would be good practice to include your full size wheel in your tire rotation routine every 5K miles or so, to insure all 5 tires wear out evenly and to maximize their use.

I searched for 255/55R19 Conti 4x4 Contacts and found plenty of online sources for them, Tire Rack among them: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S&tab=All

PS: Did you suffer several punctures or just one? If it's only one and it is not on or near the sidewall, the flat can probably be fixed.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even for crappy tires such as the Conti stockers, 3200 miles is almost new. Don't worry about it and use the full size spare for as long as necessary, the difference in circumference due to tread wear is so negligible the car won't even notice. In fact, it would be good practice to include your full size wheel in your tire rotation routine every 5K miles or so, to insure all 5 tires wear out evenly and to maximize their use.

Agreed.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS: Did you suffer several punctures or just one? If it's only one and it is not on or near the sidewall, the flat can probably be fixed.

I apparently missed those on Tirerack -- Thank you!!!

It is a large enough puncture that it spans into the sidewall, not just the flat. Fingers crossed that the local tire center can repair it but it does not look promising.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, i'd say use up that spare so you can replace all 5 contis and get something that doesn't suck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99