Tyre for Freelander 2003

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brjerry

Reaction score
Hello everybody...
I'm new in LR world; I live in Jakarta, Indonesia.
I'm interested in Freelander...; and, already placed a down payment for a used one (2003 model - pre-face-lift). :biggrin:
I'm thinking about fixing a 235/75R16 Toyo A/T tyre; based on Toyo's specification this tyre size can be fitted safely in Freelander standard 16x6" rim. Considering this tyre is about 2 inches larger in diameter if compared to its standard 215/65R16, is it possible without any modification on the Freelander? I'm afraid that this bigger tyre will not fit. My intention is to get extra ground clearance. I'm open with any suggestion on which tyre brand/ model/ size right now.
Thank you.
Budi Jerry

rbutler

Reaction score
Hi Budi,
The largest tire I have seen on a freelander is 225/75/16 and those will rub in the wheel wells under load and in certain conditions - you will want to install a lift. I tried the Toyo tires you are looking at in a smaller size and they rubbed the struts - too wide.

225/70/16 is a good fit for a stock height freelander, BF Goodrich AT is popular option in the U.S. Don't know what is available in Indonesia but you'll want to stick to 225 or less width and under 29 in diameter. The Toyos are very wide in the tread, those also may not fit in this smaller size.

Good luck.

brjerry

Reaction score
Hi there,
I already fitted a 225/75/16 bfgoodrich; so far no trouble/ rubbing or whatsoever. I'm still stick on my stock freelander.
I like it!!! thanks for the info.
Jerry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM