Updated sources for skid plating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair point, but I'd rather have the protection. I can always kick my co-driver out if I need less weight. ;)

If anyone HAS run aground on the aluminum skid plates, I'd be curious as to how well they seemed to protect, and whether they seemed to "stick" on sharp rocks more?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
If anyone HAS run aground on the aluminum skid plates, I'd be curious as to how well they seemed to protect, and whether they seemed to "stick" on sharp rocks more?

I actually have grounded my Front Runner sump plate and bent the crap out of it going about 45-50 mph trying to keep up with some semi-trophy trucks out in the desert on an unforeseen whoop. With that said, the Front Runner sump plate saved the rest truck from serious damage. Since then I replaced it with the ASFIR plates. I've got hung up on rocks/boulders and it slid off with ease. There's some minor damage on the plates, but no big deal. The trick is to have constant momentum while driving. Do NOT stop, slow down when you hear a thud. THE worst thing you can do is stop and get hung up, which I also did with my oem gas skid. Lesson learned.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the threads on skid plating are actually pretty old, and it isn't always clear what is available reasonably in North America, U.S. in particular. Using the Search feature here, I've seen the following vendors listed:

• Lucky 8 - U.S. presence, and seems to have good plates but at least the front skid requires using one of their bumpers to integrate properly.
  • ASFIR (Israel)
  • Prospeed (UK) has some good packages, but expensive even before shipping to the U.S.
  • Frontrunner Outfitters has a sump guard
I'm trying to ascertain whether there are other viable options for getting pretty good armor. I think aluminum is likely too soft to really help where rocks are involved, so I think I'd prefer thinner steel over that in spite of the weight.

What are the best options I should be looking at in the U.S. which aren't horrendously expensive? Thank you!
Tactical 4X4 out of California is a good source for Land Rover armor. Especially the bumpers and rock sliders.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a photo of my Tactical 4x4 front bumper.
Tactical 4x4 Front Bumper.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA