V8 Coolant Manifold / Crossover & Maintenance Parts List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rubber pipe against hard plastic is even more of a potential grenade than the crossovers in my book. I had a similar issue with the clips that attach to the underside of the supercharger.

but I’ve not worked on a v8 so I’m only postulating.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can a anyone show/explain how this dang hose is supposed to route at the back? I keep fighting with it and am never sure if it’s right once I seat the intake because I can’t see back there. I presume the retaining clips are to keep the hose lifted away from the block itself? Since I can’t see, I’m petrified it’s not seated right somewhere and is going to explode the minute I take it on the highway again.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m out of town and without my car or I’d try to take some pics for you (also, I have the V6, so might be a little different). I don’t remember it well enough off the tope of my head. Hopefully someone else can help here.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the hose to the throttle body we're talking about correct? If so, I'm pretty sure it rests on the block for about 90% of it's way back to the front. If this is the hose, I might be able to find a pic I used as a reference while putting it back together.

On the eyelet on the passenger side, there is a wire clamp that is supposed to be attached there. By way of comparison, it seems to be more of a way to tidy up the wires by connecting them to something- they would do just as well floating in the air as there is no way they can contact the block..

MP

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir that hose. So everyone else has it resting on the block? I thought the clips were there to keep it off the block? I even put a zip tie on it through the eyelet used to hold the plug wire at the back as well just to keep it tucked tighter up to the manifold and not the block.

sfdaytona

Reaction score
I just did this job on my LR4. I ran into an issue of the clips holding the hose in place on the bottom of the manifold broke (they literally turned to dust when I tried removing the hose). I ordered a roll of Thermo-Tec heat sleeving from summit racing to protect that hose since it's sitting on the oil cooler/block/whatever the correct name for that is...figure it'll be cheap insurance to keep things protected a little better.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you pressurized a cooling system cold? If so what did you put it up to? I had a very strange thing happen. I did my cross over pipes/water pump and all new hoses. Bled the cooling system based on threads I've found here. I believe I got all of the air out. I measured air temps on the front and rear vents with the heat on at 107-112 deg F respectively. No bubble or anything, and most importantly, no leaks that I could see.

When I pressurized the system stone cold (to about 13psi) just as a "let me make sure there are no leaks here", I noticed a leak from the pipe that goes from the back of the water pump to the oil cooler. Cannot figure out what went wrong. I did the install, turned 1/4 turn to lock it in and thought I had it right. Is 13psi too high for a pressure test? Ordered a new part but was just curious where things might have gone sideways for me, and if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I pressurized the system stone cold (to about 13psi) just as a "let me make sure there are no leaks here", I noticed a leak from the pipe that goes from the back of the water pump to the oil cooler. Cannot figure out what went wrong. I did the install, turned 1/4 turn to lock it in and thought I had it right. Is 13psi too high for a pressure test? Ordered a new part but was just curious where things might have gone sideways for me, and if anyone here has experienced anything similar.
That's not good news, from my perspective. I pressure-tested my system cold at 16PSI without any leaks before I took it on the road. It sounds like maybe something with that pipe (O-rings?) didn't seat properly or has failed. I noticed that at least one parts list I saw here did NOT include the O-ring that goes with that pipe...did you replace it, or use the old O-ring? Or were you counting on that all being one piece?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thought as Greiswig on the leak. The other thing I noticed is that the oil cooler pipe can get sideways a bit when you push the water pump into place. This stuck out in my mind as a poorly designed part for that reason. But I assume you installed it while the intake manifold was still off (like I did), in which case you could see the alignment from the top down.

On the water hose clips, just an FYI that I was able to get a new clip from the landrover dealer. I thought it would be a big problem to locate, but they were readily available. I’m sure your solution is fine as well, just thought I’d mention it.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have clarified...new pipe, new o-rings, and water pump.
Hmmm...maybe you could drain some (or all) of the coolant, pressurize the system with air and use soapy water to identify exactly where the leak is? Defective part, or at least which joint is leaking?

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA