washer fluid - Doesn't work in the cold? Feature or Error?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am assuming my washer fluid not functioning if the temperature is below 20deg C is a byproduct of crappy design more than a 'feature'. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine works fine, and it's about 5 degrees Fahrenheit right now where I'm at.

I'd ask if yours was frozen, but 20 degrees celsius is pretty warm.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant 20 deg F. I'm so used to using metric at work I spaced it. Its -10 degrees F right now. I'm assuming its frozen currently, but it doesn't work in regular (not this super cold) winter temps.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess you have enough non winter formula fluid that it froze. If you have the cold climate pack, then the washer jets should be heated, but the lines leading up to them might get cold enough to freeze.

I should try mine today... its -11F now and -15F later today. Im not positive what all I have in my fluid now either.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the cold climate pack. This is frustrating for sure. I put the truck in the garage hopefully it will thaw. I'll just run them until near empty and re-fill with fluid.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's one of my frustrations here in Phoenix that it is very hard to find cold weather formula washer fluid around town. It rarely get's below 32F here, but we go up to Flagstaff or Colorado often, and I'd like to keep at least 0F in the reservoir. The only way is to buy it up there.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-15F (ambient, -35F with wind Chill:)) all weekend (Maine), and I had no issues.

Also you can order a case from Amazon (free shipping), of the good stuff, for about $30.
Or just buy the methanol concentrate, and add it to the reservoir.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72