Washing the underbody with a high pressure wand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After another great trip in the woods this weekend I washed our 2014 LR4 at one of those DIY car washes with the high pressure wands. I made sure to get it underneath and spray up to get out as much of the collected dust/dirt/mud as possible. I also directed the spray through the wheel wells.

Then I got home and wondered if this was a good idea or not. It seemed to be idling a bit rough. I haven't checked this morning. But, in general, am I at risk of damaging something by doing this?

(On earlier cars I haven't given this much thought as I would take it to others to wash.)

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my car taken to a wash that has a hydraulic lift and the guy spends a solid 10+ minutes blasting out the sand / salt each time I make my coastal desert trips. Never had an issue to date in about half a dozen trips / washes. It always comes out looking like brand new when they are done.

Also keep in mind, the trucks were designed to submerge most if not the entirety of the underbody in water. The wading depth on the LR4 is nearly 28 inches.

Attachments

• Wading.jpg
    Wading.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had an issue doing this either. Actually going to waxoyl the chassis this fall.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan, is your service engine light on, if so what are the fault codes?
Otherwise your engine should be able to handle a high pressure wash, I do mine after each trail with no issues.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Everyone. No issues this morning. Last night may have just been a fluke or from some lesser quality gas I bought yesterday. I knew these vehicles were built for wading in a couple feet of water. I just wanted to make sure that by shooting high pressure wash into the engine area through the window well I wasn't going to knock something out of kilter. But everything is OK today.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wading through a few feet of water is not the same as high pressure water. You can damage electronics if you get a little too aggressive entering water. Just pay attention to what you point it at.

I have cleaned mine the same way many times, I just try to avoid spraying boots and joints that have lube in them. Stuff like that.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get anywhere near the engine bay with a high pressure hose, whether from the bottom or from the top. Other than that, fire away.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get anywhere near the engine bay with a high pressure hose, whether from the bottom or from the top. Other than that, fire away.

Got it. In the future I will avoid that. (What's done is done but I don't appear to have any residual issues.)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Dan,

I owe you a PM - going to take care of that in the morning. I wanted to chime in as I also use a power washer to wash the underside of my LR4, but I stay away from the engine bay. I actually have a place locally that does an incredible job and they are very careful to avoid going near the engine. Aside from me doing it myself, I had them do it before I installed my sliders/skid plates (to start from a clean undercarriage) and once when I went off roading in a lot of mud.

I also have done this many times on my 2011 with no issues. I think you are fine if you just stay away from the engine.

Regards, David

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't go nuts over the rear diff either. EPB module isn't cheap!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oledave49