Water Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's great they are covering your water pump. I just had mine replaced last week. I started to notice low coolant levels and engine was running a little louder than usual with some squeaking. Now it's very smooth and quite. Also seems to have a little more horse power.

Kamguy

Reaction score
Heard the pulley and smelled the problem Friday. No coolant loss to speak of.
Called Land Rover first thing Monday morning. Aristocrat Motors in Kansas City, Kansas put on a new water pump for me today. Also got a synthetic oil change for $114 including tax. Everyone from Land Rover 24 hour roadside assistance, to the loaner car, (2014 XF with the supercharged V6) to the service advisor made it the most enjoyable service experience I may have ever had. By the way Roxie had 33,000 miles on her when the pump went.
BK

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was just going through my engine a bit tonight (general preventative looking as I do, tidying up a wire for my charger etc...) and Im trying to figure out how you even get a good look at the water pump witness marks that are shown in the TSB. It's damn hard to see anything but the pulley.

I've asked my dealer about this TSB, even though my coolant level hasn't moved at all... just worried this might impact my 2013 at some random time down the road. Only have about 6k miles left on the warranty at this point. I'd like to get this fixed if it is worth fighting for.

I know the TSB was updated to include 'onward' and just just 2012... does this impact any 2013's that anyone has heard about??

The dealer claims they looked at it and said it was fine.. but how the crap did they inspect it? Did they lie or do they have a trick? I seriously doubt they took the intake apart to look at it.

Forty Deuce

Reaction score
Not that it really answered your question but when I first walked onto a Land Rover lot a few months ago I was set on buying a CPO 2013 LR4 because I wanted that V8. When I asked about the perks to buying a CPO versus just buying a used one from a private seller the salesman said there was a clear benefit to having maintenance records but also explained the value of the warranty. He made the comment "You'll want warranty when your water pump goes out or you have electrical problems." I found it odd that he was so specific in his example and perhaps now I see why.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the TSB was updated to include 'onward' and just just 2012... does this impact any 2013's that anyone has heard about??

The dealer claims they looked at it and said it was fine.. but how the crap did they inspect it? Did they lie or do they have a trick? I seriously doubt they took the intake apart to look at it.

We bought our 2013 gray LR4 CPO and during the CPO inspection they noticed some leakage at the water pump and replaced it. So yes, it is an issue on 2013's from my experience.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also had to replace the waterpump at around 30k miles on my 2013. You can smell the coolant.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer to hear, having a '13 with 32000 miles. Do you guys know if they replaced it with the same crappy water pump, or a better one that won't go bad in a couple years?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently Land Rover redesigned the pump's bearing seal on recent VINs, which is where most of these leaks appear to generate from, rather than from the pump itself. In the past, dealers would just replace the whole pump and bearing assembly, possibly with another crappy bearings housing that would corrode over time, but now they have been instructed to more thoroughly diagnose and replace only the part(s) that actually show a leak, which may not be the pump itself.

My guess is that repairs made now should be more permanent than those they made a year or two ago, thanks mostly to the improved bearing seal and diagnostic routine dealers are asked to perform.

Here is the most recent TSB with coolant pump diagnostic steps: https://app.box.com/s/lye2qwchuyx6w9hwbhuk91r31owwte3e

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like a do-able 2 hr project. The instructions are pretty clear and the part prices are very reasonable. Just get the o-ring and tube like the guy said and you dont need any special tools. If you decide to do it please take pictures.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo