What did they do!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You appear to be on the right path.. If I was you, I'd make sure:

1. He follows the FSM procedure for filling, and documents with articulation what happens when he opens that fill plug when the engine is running and the box is at temp.

-No fluid
-Trickle of fluid (capture fluid and determine how much)
-Lots of fluid (capture fluid and determine how much)

Your previous mechanic might have used that "fill" plug as a level indicator- i.e. fill it until it drips when cold.. That is NOT the case on these transmissions, and may have caused what you just experienced on the flatbed.

We already know he used fluid that you didn't ask for, continue to solidify the case with evidence of negligence...

Document, and good luck..!!

Mike

Primetime

Reaction score
Frank8, that’s what I am trying to figure out. I don’t know what he did or could have done. All I know is the truck was driving fine when I bring it in and when I drive it home it’s not. To make matters worse, as opposed to trying to help, the guy is reluctant to do anything and says, “that’s the way it was driving when you brought it to me.” I know he put in the Rowe 9006 fluid and actually I looked at my invoice more closely and he charged me for 8 qts of the stuff. I’m hoping overfilling/underfilling is the issue but that’s why I’m on here.

Thanks for the help Pfunk951. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I hear tomorrow.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For grins I looked up the LR4 on Rowe's website, and their product finder recommends 9006 for the auto transmission. I would be really, really surprised if using Rowe 9006 fluid in any way damaged the transmission. Seems more likely to have an incorrect fluid level, which would be strange if the shop has worked on this type of ZF transmission in the past.

Rowe product finder:
https://rowe-mineraloel.com/en/service-tools/oilfinder/

9006 ATF:
https://rowe-mineraloel.com/en/produkte/hightec-atf-9006-2/

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 Quarts?! I got 5 out when I did my pan replacement..

You didn't notice if ATF was coming out your air conditioning vents, did you?!

Mike

armozo

Reaction score
My gut says go up the ramps and throwing a code it means that transmission does not have enough fluid. On top of the wrong fluid. Sad.

no-pistons

Reaction score
My guess is that the transmission was already going out and changing the fluid threw it over the edge.

Happened to mine and had to have it rebuilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primetime

Reaction score
So I called the shop at the end of the day and they didn’t have updates. They became far busier than they thought and didn’t have time for it. I will keep you posted.

No-pistons, was your truck showing any signs of things going south? I’m trying to figure this thing out logically and I don’t want to try to burn anyone that doesn’t deserve it. I just don’t know how a fluid change could have you go from trouble free to so bad it’s throwing codes. It’s night and day instantly.... I drove it in fine and when I drove it home it had a **** between gears not 20ft from the shops driveway. Was yours like that? Could it really be that instant?

Primetime

Reaction score
So after a few days I got a call from the tech I brought the truck to and he says his boss doesn’t want to get involved so they can’t do anything for me. He did give me the codes that the tranny put out which are P0826 and P2700. When I got to the shop this afternoon, I decided to drive it home because it is only about a mile from my house, and I wanted to listen more attentively now that the shock is over and I’m more settled (it had sat in my driveway since I brought it home the first time). Anyway, now it’s rough shifting through all of the gears. It’s also seems to be getting hung up in gears as I’m slowing down. I’m going to take it to the original guy tomorrow and maybe have some luck getting assistance. So what’s the consensus, is my transmission f-Ed? Here’s the timeline again for those coming late to the thread:
1) Truck drives fine and has 99,000 mi on it
2) Bring it to get a transmission service and am told the fluid was dark and there was black sludge on the magnets
3) Go pick up the truck and a few feet out of the shops driveway I get a bump between 2-1
4) Guy refuses to look at it and I notice he puts “8 qts of life guard 9006” on my invoice
5) Have it towed to another shop for a second look and throw codes P0826 and P2700 while driving up the flatbed (loose gear and roll back)
6) Second shop doesn’t want to “get involved”. Truck now drives like absolute crap, hard shifting all over the place... exactly 4 mi put on the odometer since the original service

Last edited:

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8) What Ryan said

No more driving until the following question gets answered..

Group question: Is it now okay to try to have him check/properly fill the box to see if that's the issue? It looks like the "take it to the shop" route has run its course, and at the end of the day dude needs his truck.. I just dont want to recommend something that clouds a legal case..

Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV