Wheel Nut Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing the brake pad job this morning and encountered this (see pic) on the security nut when removed. Dealers and tire places do have a way to torque the crap out of the wheels when they put them back on, only using air guns.

Attachments

• IMG_5751.jpg
    IMG_5751.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5752.jpg
    IMG_5752.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 20

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put new tires on one of my cars and prior to taking it in I took each wheel off and removed all the stick-on weights and detailed the wheels inside and out. I made sure to torque them to proper specs and when I went to the tire store I insisted they use a torque wrench for this very reason. As well, I've had to do the old pipe on the breaker bar to get nuts off at times....the thought of trying to do this on the roadside or trail with the included tire iron (or even my iron cross) is scary if they have been torqued down too much.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bet. I have to use a 30 in 3/4 black pipe to extend by 18 in breaker bar. Once roadside assistance is up, AAA baby, AAA.....

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpg
    IMG_5735.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You bet. I have to use a 30 in 3/4 black pipe to extend by 18 in breaker bar. Once roadside assistance is up, AAA baby, AAA.....

If you had to do that, I would NEVER go to that shop again and also let them know specifically why. 105 lb-ft is the factory spec and would not require such a long lever even for a child.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I could, but it's the dealer, warranty work will have me there again. I keep my expectations very low when it comes to dealer service dept, and not just LR, but any car I have ever had. Maybe it's just my luck, even last week my wife came home from Fiat "studio" after going there to program new key fob, and the hood wasn't latched. Why did they open the hood to program key? and why they leave it unlatched? I will never know, all I know it's i don't expect them to do much more, just my experience.
As a Mech E, I now the importance of specs, so best defense is to verify what you can, do the work yourself as much as possible, and hope for the rest. Their purpose is to get you in and out fast to get the next customer in, make money.

One of my favorites is tire inflation charge for nitrogen, asking the tech what percent nitrogen is the fill tank, they say "80 percent or so". Guess what, the free air we breath is 78 percent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM