Which Yellow Optima Battery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azaky

Reaction score
For a 05 ? I am setting up the dual system and noticed there are different "ratings," for the yellow top battery. Which one is the right one or does it not matter.

Thanks in advance...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, are you aware that you have to run the same battery when running duals, so are you looking at 2 Yellow Tops.
I run them and they are great, that being said, I would recommend using the Sears grey Platinum Marine battery, more battery and warranty for the money.
By the way, what size battery does your LR3 use?

azaky

Reaction score
I was unaware they had to be the same, thank you for the heads up... and the stock battery is in there now...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was unaware that a second identical battery is required. From my understanding it was quite the opposite. Is it possible that different dual battery systems have different requirements. I've got a kit from Traxide coming, so I'll pose the question for clarification.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optimal situation is identical batteries of equal amperage, CCA's and draw characteristics. Also, age of batteries should be the same. Many people have used the Oddyssey or Sears batts with good results. For whatever reason, most steer away from the Optima. Coupled with the Dual Kit, you're looking at $700+ or so just so you can run more electronics?? I've never had an issue running my winch or lights off of one battery.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The quality issue has been taken care of with new plants making them. I run my batteries together without a switch, pretty much depends on what you are wanting dual batteries for.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been running the traxide with a yellow top and my factory battery. forgot the brand. haven't had any issues. i took out the center back seat and placed my ARB fridge there, which runs full time. that was my reason for wanting the 2nd battery. i almost bought the diehard platinum marine battery for my 2nd battery but the posts were just a bit too tall to allow the battery cover to fit into place.

Trynian

Reaction score
Optima D34 is the one that fits in the spare batt location. It is ok to run the optima with the factory battery. I use the traxide dual batt setup as well.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optimal situation is identical batteries of equal amperage, CCA's and draw characteristics. Also, age of batteries should be the same.

I am the former tech sales manager for Optima. Worked from them for 12 years. In a perfect world you want to "match" batteries in a parallel string (12V). The reason is that in a parallel string, the batteries will constantly fight to reach the same "state" in this case, the weaker of the two. Thus the reason you want the same age and same capacity.

The quality issue has been taken care of with new plants making them.

There is only one plant building Optima. It's in Mexico, they closed the US plant (Denver) three years ago. They have resolved several start up quality issues in Mexico. They are still better than most, I personally run Optima in my Jeep, an Odyssey in my M Roadster.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ngomac