Whiiiiiiiiirrrring Sound VS. RPM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all - listen to this clip. My truck sounds like ****. Works great but wow. I have done some internet sleuthing and some say it’s the drivetrain but how if it increases with the RPM’s? Any insight would be super helpful.

Thanks again crew!

- Adrien

IMG_1799.MOV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you post a video? I have the “vip” whatever plan. This is infuriating.

nymoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks - here it is. For the record the app should be able to upload and handle video. Whatever.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....don’t know that I’ve heard that one myself. I’m assuming it’s coming from the left side of the engine? If so, it resembles a power steering pump that’s growling, and that is indeed located over there.

Is the AC off? Is it throwing any codes? Do you have a discrete scanner to pull all the codes, not just the MIL codes?

I’ve got a 2010 LR4, and I think my power steering pump lines are starting to leak a little, and I don’t believe there’s a “fluid level” sensor in there. I’ve had to refill my reservoir once or twice. But, if yours has run low and stayed that way for a while, it could be your pump is hot.

I could be way off as well....it’s hard to diagnose with sound only. But at least it’s something to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying this is the issue, but I had the same initial thought as @Tapps33 that it sounds like a power steering pump.

A couple years back, my Ford Explorer (also a V8, 4.6L) sounded exactly like that when turning the wheel (moving or stationary), and as we know these 5.0L V8 LR4s are basically luxury Ford Explorers on steroids with all the FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) parts they have inside.

This is not a bad thing, imo, as it allows us to utilize the wealth of Ford truck knowledge out there to help diagnose our Ford design-era Rovers as well. Not an exact science, but helps us move in the right direction toward possible fixes.

In the case above with my Explorer, a power steering fluid change and bleeding the air from the system fixed the issue and there was no more sound.

It may be something that simple, hopefully.

SkyTree

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, @SkyTree sounds like he’s on to something. If there’s one thing about these trucks that never ceases to amaze me, it’s the ability of a fluid flush and replacement to bring systems back to life. I’ve had lots of other vehicles and really I never noticed a difference when I would flush and replace fluids........but on the LR4....different story.

SkyTree

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, @SkyTree sounds like he’s on to something. If there’s one thing about these trucks that never ceases to amaze me, it’s the ability of a fluid flush and replacement to bring systems back to life. I’ve had lots of other vehicles and really I never noticed a difference when I would flush and replace fluids........but on the LR4....different story.

Thank you, and ain't that the truth!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72