Whirring noise from back after shutting off engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. Sometimes when I shut the car off, I’ll hear a whirring noise coming from the general area of the spare tire. Lasts for about a minute. I’m virtually certain this is not the air suspension running. Thinking it might be the evap leak detection system letting off pressure, but not sure if its normal or a problem. I hear it more often recently than I remember in the past. Could find much in the forums on this.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the same thing. At first, I thought it was the fuel pump, but there were quite a few forums that discussed it being the rear valve block (if I remember right). It only happened after I deflated the suspension, restarted the truck, re enabled EAS, set it back to normal height, and then shut off the truck.

Whatever I read, I remember being much less concerned about it. I'll try to find some posts for you.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it hot where you live?

I always hear some type of noise that sounds like a cooling fan when its hot out (Like 95-100+)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a rear locker then it is probably the solenoid that engages the locker going bad. I was told that I caught mine early enough so they could just replace the solenoid. If you wait too long the solenoid will fail, engaging and damaging the locking motor.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights and suggestions. Regarding the cooling fan, it is hot in the summer, but not presently hot where I live (northern CA). Besides which this sound is coming from the back of the car around the spare tire area.

The rear locker solenoid is not something that occurred to me. It doesn’t sound like a solenoid - it’s not a clicking or humming sound. Plus, I’m only around 54K miles without much time using the rear locker, and that rear locker should not be active just driving around town. So I’m thinking that’s a rather low probability, but I’ll keep it in mind - maybe see if I can find a diagnostic procedure.

I guess the rear valve block is a possibility. The car routinely releases air in the rear after I shut down and everyone piles out of the car. That’s normal behavior to my understanding, and is accompanied by a brief hissing sound that abruptly stops. This sound is totally different and unrelated to that function, but still could be the valve block.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM