Why is the "most capable 4x4" so fragile ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes right on the money. I would have liked a larger displacement V8 in the LR4 (6.2L) with the same output and less fancy stuff (DI, cam phasing). In fact they should have dropped the GM 6.2L in there.

Ford 7.3L would be ideal if it functions as Ford intended. Big, torquey ultra-reliable brick of a truck engine, complete with push rods.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Control arm bushings being more pliant not only make the ride nice, but the suspension better off-road as it is tuned to the stiffness of those particular bushings....which is why I'd say NO to polybushes. New control arms every 50,000 miles (YMMV) is not that big of a deal.

I don't know how your LR is spec'd but if you think a Tahoe can keep up with it off-road you are sorely mistaken and you have yet to tap into the full potential of your Rover. When you do, you'll learn to live with these design flaws, which btw, all vehicles have.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Poly bushings in an LR4 will drive you insane from obnoxious creaking noises.

Interesting couple of posts on the poly bushes.

I have had mine in for probably 8 months, and specifically went with the hardness supposed to most closely resemble oem bushes.

So far, I have absolutely no issues. No discernible difference in ride to me, and no sqeaks.

Time will tell, of course, but so far I am happy with the change.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably not control arm bushings...yet. My knocking noise at about 40K miles was a bad stabilizer bar bushing.

our control arm bushings when on our 2015 at 39k miles. it's my wifes car. Never been offroad. Never been abused, never even been on a gravel/dirt road. Garaged always and every maintenance done.

Total bs at this mileage for sure.

tacos&beer

Reaction score
Control arm bushings being more pliant not only make the ride nice, but the suspension better off-road as it is tuned to the stiffness of those particular bushings....which is why I'd say NO to polybushes. New control arms every 50,000 miles (YMMV) is not that big of a deal.

I don't know how your LR is spec'd but if you think a Tahoe can keep up with it off-road you are sorely mistaken and you have yet to tap into the full potential of your Rover. When you do, you'll learn to live with these design flaws, which btw, all vehicles have.

Never claimed that the Tahoe had the same potential as the LR4. Was merely making a point about durability in light off road usage for a vehicle that lays its claim to fame to off road ruggedness. Unacceptable for these parts to fail this soon. But, I have learned to live with it (for now) as I do love the LR4.

And yes, all vehicles have their flaws. I’m well aware of the fact - in some cases , all too aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Real 4 wheel drives have always been more maintenance. What gave you the idea it was otherwise?

[email protected]

Reaction score
Relatively new to the Land Rover community. Purchased a 2016 LR4 about a year ago. It had been babied & looked showroom new with only 17,000 miles on it. In the last year I have put almost 20,000 mile on it including a handful of back country trips. No real ********* off roading, mostly dirt roads with some technical sections out in the Anza Borrego desert.

At roughly 36,000 miles I am experiencing the control arm knocking issue that seem to be a known weakness. Seems to be very low miles to experiencing such problems.

I bought the LR4 knowing very well that there would be reliability issues, but I had always wanted one so I pulled the trigger. No regrets. Love the vehicle regardless.

I previously owned a 2011 Chevy Tahoe and put 150,000 miles with zero issues & the same degree if not more off road driving ( just based on 7 years of ownership. )

It just makes me wonder why Land Rover - touted as such a capable vehicle is so fragile & prone to issues ???

Thats and easy question to answer it was designed by the British...The old old Land Rovers were copies of Willis....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72