Windshield wind noise.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rberkel. I don't know the source of the windshield. The vehicle is new to me and I don't know the specific history. I ordered a Carfax report and there were no accidents. It does have the heating wires running through the windshield. To me, that says it's original glass or secondary market glass that is supposed to have the same heating wire feature.

The noise and vibration isn't a big deal, just mildly annoying. I can see it being fatiguing on a long trip.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Badly installed windscreen. Could be the cause of the noise. Is it an original (LandRover or Pilkinton) windscreen? The non genuine ones usually have a poor fit and cause all sort of problems.

I have had over 8 aftermarket windscreens in the 3 and 4. (Fuyao, Pilk, XTG, Saint Gobain, They are fine, it is the skill of the install. Fresh clips and/or fresh A pillar garnishes if they are worn. No issues. edit. forgot one: Benson.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a noise and vibration at high speeds on my 2011 LR4, but I am wondering if it might be something that is going on with my windshield rather than the pillar clips. It's kind of hard to see but the top of the passenger's side of the windshield has a bit of a gap while the driver's side is flush. (See attached pics). It almost looks like a slight defect in the manufacturing of the roof where is comes together with the windshield on the passenger's side. Has anyone else come across this?
My brand new Tesla Y had an issue like this where it would whistle on occasion at certain speed and I tracked it down to where the body meets the windshield at the bottom passenger corner in a notoriously Tesla minor fit and finish issue. It was easily remedied by a dab of RTV that no one would notice but me and even I forgot about it until I saw this thread!

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Al Pizzica, that's where I am coming down on it. New clips couldn't hurt, but I'm thinking about sourcing some sort of durable (yet moldable) rubber strip to insert along that gap to see if that works. We are talking about high wind speeds along that top edge, so it would have to be plenty sticky and tough.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I'd suggest using something less sticky like masking tape. You might accidentally rip off a weather strip or panel with duct tape, especially gorilla tape. :listen:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duct tape is temporary. Actually the way the A pillar covers can come off it is good practice to carry tape in the vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA