Winter tire advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are on our second set of Nokian Hakka SUV winter tires on our LR3 and they have been great.

But the Hakka R2 SUV winter tires on the LR4 are even better. The R2 is better in slush and wet snow because they have wider channels to move water out.

The traction control on these vehicles is so good that you will get moving on any tire in snow. You buy winter tires to improve braking and turning this heavy vehicle on slippery winter roads.

As avid skiers that take frequent trips to Maine & Vermont, I have tried many brands of winter tires over the years. The reason I'm sold on Nokian is that they keep their winter tire properties as they wear. After 3 winter seasons and the wear bars getting closer, I still see the tiny sipes that stop you on ice.

We had Pirelli Ice & Snow winter tires on our old Q7. After one winter the tiny sipes had worn off and they were basically all-season tires.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do I want?

Studs are illegal in my area so will have to be studless.

With a 6000lb vehicle stopping power on ice is preferred. Right now I have Perreli Zeros 19" and they do fine in terms of getting through snow but have had a few instances where I slide past an intersection due to icy conditions.

I would like wet performance to be at least as good as my Perreli zeros. Lost a friend to hydroplaning on the highway.

I don't really know for sure until I get the tire. Sometimes you buy something and later say "I did take into account this or that" So I am drawing from others experience to **** out issues that I have not taken into account.

How long they last is not a big issue but it seems to be to others. In reviews I read that often, "did not last wont buy again etc"

Who power slides a LR4? lol are you kidding me? All these people are just a little bit nuts.

I've never heard of a snow tire being bad in the wet. It has to be good by definition if it can channel snow.

As far as ice traction, you can't get around physics. You will never have a tire with superb grip on ice. You just want one that feels like it's not going to ****** you the way summer or some all-season tires do. You still have to be careful. All you want is a tire that won't render you car useless. Drive too aggressively and tires with studs will **** you.

On ice, with snow tires, you drive carefully and you manage to get around and get to where you need to go. Without them, sometimes no amount of careful driving will save you and leave you stranded with your tires spinning or stuck on the bottom of a hill.

EDIT: These comments apply to cars in general. The LR4 has crazy-good traction, but braking & handling is 100% about tires.

Last edited:

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about The Michelin X-Ice Xi3? It sounds even better on wet roads.

The more expensive Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (Est. $160) winter tire runs neck-and-neck with the Michelin in Scandinavian reviews and one top U.S. test on ice and snow. The Nokian doesn't grip as well on wet and dry roads, though. It's pricey and hard to find in the U.S., too.

For most motorists in North America, winter tires without studs are all they need for cold-weather driving. The best snow tires power through snow and ice, improve stopping distances and handling, and ride smoothly and quietly on roads. The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Est. $105) dominates this category for the second straight year.

"Handles easily on all road surfaces," say tough testers at the Swedish auto magazine Aftonbladet, where it beats all other studless tires. Not only does it grip better on snow and ice in tests, but the Xi3 also proves quieter, more comfortable and more durable than other snow tires -- just like the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 before it, which held the ConsumerSearch Best Reviewed title for four years straight. Moreover, Michelin backs the Xi3 with a 40,000-mile treadwear warranty. That's rare among snow tires, which usually carry no tread warranty at all.

Good question. I used to run a previous version of the Michelin X-Ice on our BMW X3 when that "SAV" came out. We screwed around with Pirellis & other winter tires, but the X-Ice was the BEST both on ice & in deep SNOW. The problem with the X3 was that the car was based on a 3-series car chassis, and it was juts too light for deep snow. Due to this, we moved to an LR3 and eventually an LR4.

The Nokian R2s look good, but are harder to get. Tire Rack stocks Blizzaks in the 255/50R20 fitment, so it was a few mouse clicks away. Comparing tread patterns (that right angle for the deep stuff), I honestly prefer the Blizzaks over the Nokians. But for ice driving, I'd really need to "feel" them both.

FWIW - I am running Blizzaks on my Porsche 911 C2S Cab (RWD). Yes, I am crazy - but the car is so planted in the deep stuff. Fun.

Good luck!

-Blake

Last edited:

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are on our second set of Nokian Hakka SUV winter tires on our LR3 and they have been great.

But the Hakka R2 SUV winter tires on the LR4 are even better. The R2 is better in slush and wet snow because they have wider channels to move water out.

The traction control on these vehicles is so good that you will get moving on any tire in snow. You buy winter tires to improve braking and turning this heavy vehicle on slippery winter roads.

As avid skiers that take frequent trips to Maine & Vermont, I have tried many brands of winter tires over the years. The reason I'm sold on Nokian is that they keep their winter tire properties as they wear. After 3 winter seasons and the wear bars getting closer, I still see the tiny sipes that stop you on ice.

We had Pirelli Ice & Snow winter tires on our old Q7. After one winter the tiny sipes had worn off and they were basically all-season tires.

This is a great point! My wife and I are well versed in snow tires that have worn down and lost grip.... All confidence is lost in the snow - not just slowing corner speeds and lost traction!

The Blizzaks get about 20k miles until they wear down - at which point spring/summer is here and they basically become all-season tires. I need to consider the Nokians. Honestly though - my wife is tempted by studded tires as they are legal in Utah from Nov-May.

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about The Michelin X-Ice Xi3? It sounds even better on wet roads.

The more expensive Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 (Est. $160) winter tire runs neck-and-neck with the Michelin in Scandinavian reviews and one top U.S. test on ice and snow. The Nokian doesn't grip as well on wet and dry roads, though. It's pricey and hard to find in the U.S., too.

For most motorists in North America, winter tires without studs are all they need for cold-weather driving. The best snow tires power through snow and ice, improve stopping distances and handling, and ride smoothly and quietly on roads. The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Est. $105) dominates this category for the second straight year.

"Handles easily on all road surfaces," say tough testers at the Swedish auto magazine Aftonbladet, where it beats all other studless tires. Not only does it grip better on snow and ice in tests, but the Xi3 also proves quieter, more comfortable and more durable than other snow tires -- just like the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 before it, which held the ConsumerSearch Best Reviewed title for four years straight. Moreover, Michelin backs the Xi3 with a 40,000-mile treadwear warranty. That's rare among snow tires, which usually carry no tread warranty at all.

The Michelin X-Ice3 is a great winter tire. I ran them on my Audi allroad last winter. Great traction and excellent handling as well. But I don't think they come in any size that will fit an LR4.

As for locating Nokian tires, you can buy them here and they are a pleasure to deal with: https://www.tiresbyweb.com/tbw_tire...=19&Winter=1&Pageindex=1&choice2=NOKIAN TIRES

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90