Xenon D3S Headlamp bulb replacement options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that my headlamp bulbs are not as bright as they used to be. I'm not sure if it's all up in my head or if the light output from xenon bulbs decrease as they age. The bulbs i estimate are at least 8 years old. Anyways let's say that i decide to swap them out, can anyone recommend some that they've installed on their LR4? Maybe better options than the stock Philips D3S xenon bulbs?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. The headlights are just not as good as the LR3 HIDs either.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that my headlamp bulbs are not as bright as they used to be. I'm not sure if it's all up in my head or if the light output from xenon bulbs decrease as they age. The bulbs i estimate are at least 8 years old. Anyways let's say that i decide to swap them out, can anyone recommend some that they've installed on their LR4? Maybe better options than the stock Philips D3S xenon bulbs?

Yes, xenons dim as they age. Three thousand hours of use is normally time for replacement.

Phillips are good replacements.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. The headlights are just not as good as the LR3 HIDs either.

I thought our lr3 lamps were "xenon". Why do you say HID? I'm not aware of any lr3 coming with HID, all the brochures and info say xenon. Are these the same?

Also, I have no idea if my lamps were even changed but I have done a lot of road trips at night and at 150,000 miles, i would assume they're well into 300 hours. Who knows though, maybe they were changed. I've changed all the other lamps at some point.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought our lr3 lamps were "xenon". Why do you say HID? I'm not aware of any lr3 coming with HID, all the brochures and info say xenon. Are these the same?

Also, I have no idea if my lamps were even changed but I have done a lot of road trips at night and at 150,000 miles, i would assume they're well into 300 hours. Who knows though, maybe they were changed. I've changed all the other lamps at some point.

HID High Intensity Discharge . Yes ours are xenon bulbs. I replaced my 2010 lights last year as here in Canada our headlamps are on full power as DRLs (daytime running lights). LR fixed this in later models.

My LR3 has better (brighter and more light) than the LR4. Someone explained in a thread the housings are different and LR may have trimmed some money.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HID High Intensity Discharge . Yes ours are xenon bulbs. I replaced my 2010 lights last year as here in Canada our headlamps are on full power as DRLs (daytime running lights). LR fixed this in later models.

My LR3 has better (brighter and more light) than the LR4. Someone explained in a thread the housings are different and LR may have trimmed some money.

Well that's interesting. thx for info

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR3 housings are Bosch and LR4 are valeos. Without highbeam assist I find the LR4 HID output disappointing.

I find the LR4 HID's very disappointing too but what i did was i adjusted the fog lights to look up by a inches which was a big improvement.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. I think my LR4's xenon output is close to outstanding with the used xenon housings I got off eBay and fresh Phillips bulbs.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. I think my LR4's xenon output is close to outstanding with the used xenon housings I got off eBay and fresh Phillips bulbs.

Same

My LR4 has the best headlights any vehicle I have owned.

Maybe LR3 lights are just that awesome.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM