Installed ARB Front Bumper (More To Come...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also installed 2 Rigid Dually spot lights on the front of the ARB and wanted these neatly mounted somewhere near the stock light switches, so what better place than actually in that location.

IMG_1739_zps63f2508e.jpg

You basically just pop it out, then there is a clip. But, if you want to fit the switch you need to drill a hole (a little scary) and shave off the extra trim to the right side so the switch can fit.

IMG_1740_zps51df053e.jpg

Came out great! I plan on installing a light bar on the roof rack, so I will put that switch in a different location - I want that elsewhere. I am also installing two Rigid Dually flood lights on the back of my roof rack as back-up lights and work lights. That switch will be in the back cargo area.

IMG_1744_zps48a5d83e.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next we had to measure and cut the fenders - always a bit scary, but we took our time and conservatively measures to shave off excess later.

IMG_1747_zps3817915c.jpg

IMG_1748_zps13125bb4.jpg

Then, we opened the huge bag of hardware and basically laid everything out:

IMG_1749_zpsb8db60a2.jpg

Once all wired up for the lights, etc. we started the actual install (we were about 3 hours into the install by this time):

IMG_1750_zpse2523a06.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are lots of mounts to install and the instructions are not very helpful. Plan to take a lot of time to decipher and figure things out:

IMG_1752_zps44bbc5c6.jpg

After all the brackets are put on and the big supports, then you have to prepare the ARB bumper and install the winch. The ARB bumper is made to fit the ARB best, as I have heard other winches have a lot of trouble fitting. I will say it was a pain in the neck to get the winch on - literally took 2 hours of tweaking and trying to reach nuts and bolts. Very frustrating! Plus, the instructions are completely not accurate.

IMG_1754_zpsed89bbef.jpg

IMG_1755_zpse22ac218.jpg

What a mess!

IMG_1758_zps7884a192.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several hours later, we got everything on and then put on the 2 side plates under the bumper and the skid plate. Let me tell you, we had everything tightened and then realized, SHOOT, you cannot fit the headlamps or grill on when the grill is in place - no room! This is a STUPID design, as you have to loosen the bumper and pull it forward in order to remove the headlamps and grill. We learned this the hard way. You can, however, change the light bulbs if needed, there is enough room, but removal is impossible unless you pull the whole bumper forward. The instructions don't say anything about this fact.

We also switched out the parking and fog lights to LEDs, but of course left the blinkers as regular bulbs. With all the lights on, it looks incredible.

IMG_1759_zpsd2bd7757.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now, the finished product. I still have to figure out the front parking sensors. I chose not to install them, but they are just hanging out in the bumper as part of the fog light relay. I will figure it out soon. I also accidentally crushed the one-way valve on the headlamp washer tubing, so I have to get a new one of those, but that should be easy. I have everything hooked up and just need to get that valve. It is pretty easy to access the inside of the front bumper to get to the fog lights, indicators, and wiring/headlamp washer tubing by removing 3 small plates. I am planning to go in there and better zip tie everything, etc.

IMG_1762_zps46c29bc8.jpg

IMG_1763_zpsa77b2113.jpg

IMG_1765_zps8210ad24.jpg

IMG_1768_zps859e7adf.jpg

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys did a great job with the install!!
Hey Josh!

Pedram from the NCLR and I tackled it and got it done in about 11 hours nonstop. We did take a bit more time and effort with the electrical, so that was an extra 3 hours. So, I think it was on target with the 6-8 hours I heard it takes overall.

I'll let you know when I am heading to Hollister again, but likely not before July. I am so booked up in May and June.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome. I'd love to see a pic in the sun light of the underside of the ARB to get an idea of the approach angle and skids. I assume the ARB skids get rid of the aftermarket sump skid you had before?

The one thing I've never liked about their bumper design was having to install the winch and lift/adjust the entire assembly. You need some rope instead of cable! Lightens the front by 20lbs.

Also I always suggest when doing wiring like this to use weatherpack connectors to aid in making changes or removal in case you need to repair/replace something or take it back to stock.

Just one example kit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/1075...9&cadevice=c&gclid=CKb8-Z7nlL4CFYw7Ogod3DEAMA

Can you add the parking aid after the fact? Is the area in the bumper reachable?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the two main issues you encountered were inaccuracy of the electrical diagrams / instructions from ARB and the issue with Parking Sensors?

If I were you, I would try and contact ARB for some clarification with their instructions. Point out your issues with the electrics in particular. I would think they would want this kind of feedback.

Great work all around. Looks amazing!

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks Great! thanks for the detailed install with pics. I can't wait to start modding my LR4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM