18" wheel Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had another thread that sorta touched on this, but what are peoples opinions on the best tires to run on the 18" wheels. Right now I think im defaulting to the the BFG All-terrain T/A KO either 285/65/R18s or 275/65/R18s (ive had these in the past) but there are some other suggestions that are intriguing:

Firestone Destination M/T 285/65/R18

GY Wrangler Duratracs 275/65/R18

GY Wrangler MT/R 275/65/R18

Cooper Discoverer STT 275/65/R18

I would like to go a bit more aggressive than the BFGs, but am concerned about wear and/or wet/ice traction for a MT, are these concerns legitimate? I'm not too concerned with tire noise.

Anyways, what are people running, what are your experiences for why you like your tires?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires have been discussed so many times on the boards. NWoods used to have a blog on tires, but the info has been moved. Check out http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_2_004.htm for a list of nearly everytire that fits the LR3.

Personally, I'm on Cooper Zeon LTZ's available through America's Tire/Discount Tire. On my second set after 47k miles.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean I know what fits, I actually just ordered some johnson rods today. I'm sorry to have started another thread, but for the money you can spend on tires im just trying to form a solid opinion/decision. If you know where that blog info is that would be great, havent come across it in past threads yet.

PhilSessions

Reaction score
After maybe too much researching the best tire for an LR3 I narrowed it down to 2 choices. Its between the Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60R18 and the Goodyear Silent Armor 265/60R18. I have read alot of great reviews on the Zeons but I decided to go with the GY SA's for the mere fact that I drive my rig on road alot more than off and secondly for the rain and snow that I drive in alot of the year. I must say that the Zeons look awesome on the rig but, the GY's are the best all around tire I believe. Someone prove me wrong.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've got the zeons and run a suspension lift full time. they are fantastic, but with that being said i am wanting to move up to the BFG TAKOs 265/65/18 to have a bit better traction in mud. i am a bit warry of going up any bigger than a 31.5". i know a lot of guys are running the bigger tires but a suspension fault in the middle of nowhere while running 32" tires doesn't sound fun to me. the zeons are cheap, wear well, drive well on road, look good, and are pretty decent offroad. plus they ride infinitely better than the crap GY HP's that came with the truck.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had another thread that sorta touched on this, but what are peoples opinions on the best tires to run on the 18" wheels. Right now I think im defaulting to the the BFG All-terrain T/A KO either 285/65/R18s or 275/65/R18s (ive had these in the past) but there are some other suggestions that are intriguing:

Firestone Destination M/T 285/65/R18

GY Wrangler Duratracs 275/65/R18

GY Wrangler MT/R 275/65/R18

Cooper Discoverer STT 275/65/R18

I would like to go a bit more aggressive than the BFGs, but am concerned about wear and/or wet/ice traction for a MT, are these concerns legitimate? I'm not too concerned with tire noise.

Anyways, what are people running, what are your experiences for why you like your tires?

I have the BFG AT's and the for the milage I have (18k) I have burned though about 3/4 of the usable tread on all tires. Alignment was done and tires have been rotated at regular intervals and the tread is wearing evenly. My next set will be MT's for sure!!

Trynian

Reaction score
I had the Silent Armors for a year and they were good for most applications. Eventually I went to the BFG TKO because my offroading took on a more extreme life and I was blowing the SA sidewalls to much and sid by side on the exact same outfitted LR3 the BFGs general had better traction in mud and other rocky situations we see in SoCal.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the BFG AT's and the for the milage I have (18k) I have burned though about 3/4 of the usable tread on all tires. Alignment was done and tires have been rotated at regular intervals and the tread is wearing evenly. My next set will be MT's for sure!!

ryan, i take it you are going to bump up in size then to the 275/65/18?

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been a great tire for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo