2011 LR4 Hood Latch Cable Broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BreakingDown

Reaction score
In typical LR fashion, while attempting to diagnose one problem today I stumbled across another. I have a coolant leak somewhere in the engine compartment. I can smell the coolant being burnt so I am hoping it is just dropping on something hot. However that is unrelated to this problem haha. While trying to pop the hood to add some coolant/look for the leak I found that my latch cable is broken. I have no idea how to proceed. I have looked up under the hood and cannot find anything to pull or pry that will help me open the hood. The handle itself seems to have the normal amount of resistance minus the “pop” of the hood releasing. It also returns to the normal position as if spring loaded. How should I proceed? Anything to buy in advance? I am not 100% sure of the cause but the cable breaking seems to be reported fairly often.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never dealt with this, but purely from a mechanical standpoint, if you feel the usual resistance but there is no pop, the cable has either stretched or something has gotten loose the the point the lever is not offering enough travel on the cable for the latch to pop. I'd disassemble the latch mechanism to see if you can pull the cable more, if you can.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9