2011 LR4 Misfire/rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Did you guys replace the injector clips, or reuse the old ones?
I reused the old ones without any issues. I also purchased my OEM injectors from AB through Ebay.

If you got to the point of removing just about everything, here's my post on the easy way to remove the fuel rails on both sides. https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/diy-timing-chain.31050/#post-190524. You'll need the injector removal tool to actually remove the injectors, just make sure the tool is seated correctly before you try to slide hammer it out.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys replace the injector clips, or reuse the old ones?
The only way that I can find the clips is by buying the kits from atlantic british (link)...

FYI, Injector set from Atlantic British: $900
Injector set from Atlantic British from Ebay store: $750
Individual injectors, x8, Atlantic British Ebay Store: $700
Link to ebay store

I'm currently looking to see how much it would cost for a indy shop to do this for me... :(

bought the clips off of amazon, OEM. Bought the injectors off eBay. Bosch. Bought two sets of four for just over $600. Bought 8 NGK plugs off Amazon as well.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused the old ones without any issues. I also purchased my OEM injectors from AB through Ebay.

If you got to the point of removing just about everything, here's my post on the easy way to remove the fuel rails on both sides. https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/diy-timing-chain.31050/#post-190524. You'll need the injector removal tool to actually remove the injectors, just make sure the tool is seated correctly before you try to slide hammer it out.
I had seen that in the other thread! Awesome and brilliant at the same time. Was thinking about doing that myself last night, but I’ve still got my intake manifold on and didn’t want to risk cracking it. If I can’t get anywhere, I’m going your route. This rail on drivers side is stuck! Before I go that drastic ;-), I’m gonna try a slide hammer and vice grip combination on each anchor of the fuel rail to see if I can bust it loose. For now, I’m on the road. Will report back.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, my local LR indy shop quoted me 11 hours of labor -> $1450 for the replacement of the injectors (I supply all parts).

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, my local LR indy shop quoted me 11 hours of labor -> $1450 for the replacement of the injectors (I supply all parts).

yeah, mine too...my quote was 1400. I’m only a couple of hours into the job and this is my first time doing it. No way it’s an 11 hour job. Although I’m getting a bit nervous about how I’m going to get cylinder 8 injector out without evacuating the AC (it’s right behind the two ac lines).

if it’s any encouragement, after removing the battery and battery box, the passenger side of the engine is much easier to get to all the injectors and plugs.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Was thinking about doing that myself last night, but I’ve still got my intake manifold on and didn’t want to risk cracking it. If I can’t get anywhere, I’m going your route.

It's not that much longer to remove the intake manifold for a peace of mind. I'm sure you would want to take a look at your intake valves and check the carbon build up too.

I think that's pretty excessive for number of hours. It requires removing the battery and tray, LH tray, engine covers, coil/injector harness, fuel rail, and injectors. I would say around 5 hours with the proper tools, but that's just my guesstimate. If anyone needs this done, I'll be happy to replace your injectors for $400 with you supplying all new parts. ;):angel:

Side note for anyone replacing the injectors, lube your o-rings prior to installing them. I used a thin coat of pool plumbing grease, since that's what I had in my garage. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of tearing them from rubbing against the metal parts during installation, especially from the fuel rail.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, mine too...my quote was 1400. I’m only a couple of hours into the job and this is my first time doing it. No way it’s an 11 hour job. Although I’m getting a bit nervous about how I’m going to get cylinder 8 injector out without evacuating the AC (it’s right behind the two ac lines).

if it’s any encouragement, after removing the battery and battery box, the passenger side of the engine is much easier to get to all the injectors and plugs.

Yeah this sort of thing is my concern honestly... the scope creep of having to take a million things apart and then like recharging the AC system, etc. The AC lines spew a bunch of the AC oil out, fyi.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's pretty excessive for number of hours. It requires removing the battery and tray, LH tray, engine covers, coil/injector harness, fuel rail, and injectors. I would say around 5 hours with the proper tools, but that's just my guesstimate. If anyone needs this done, I'll be happy to replace your injectors for $400 with you supplying all new parts. ;):angel:.

Did you have to remove the AC line or were you able to leave it in?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Did you have to remove the AC line or were you able to leave it in?

Unnecessary to evacuate the AC lines. My lines were completely in tact. The angle of the injector removal tool has to be 100% spot on and clamped down perfectly on both 7 and 8 cylinders for it to slide out. Clamping down the injector tool properly will make the removal easier.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that much longer to remove the intake manifold for a peace of mind. I'm sure you would want to take a look at your intake valves and check the carbon build up too.
Yeah, hear ya- I’ve had it off a good bit and carbon buildup is there- walnut blast is next 6-8 mos. I’m gonna try quick and easy first, then may resort to your way ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72