2011 LR4 Misfire/rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much fluid in the lines, but I did lose quite a bit when it spewed out. When I tried to fill it when the truck has been sitting for a day, a lot of fluid spilled out of the fill plug. So I didn't fill it, I recon I am missing about 1 quart including all the fluid I lost before replacing the pipes. A master mech told me that I have to loosen the fill plug, start the cold truck, remove the fill plug, pump the missing quart or so back in, and replace the plug. I just haven't had time to do it. I've driven it almost 1k miles like this, but need to do it soon for a peace of mind.

The tech is correct. I don't have the manual handy, but IIRC you are supposed to run the truck until the bottom of the trans pan gets to about 140 degrees and then fill until it is dribbling out of the fill port.

I went out and bought an IR thermometer specifically for this task when I was doing it.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reused the old ones without any issues. I also purchased my OEM injectors from AB through Ebay.

If you got to the point of removing just about everything, here's my post on the easy way to remove the fuel rails on both sides. https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/diy-timing-chain.31050/#post-190524. You'll need the injector removal tool to actually remove the injectors, just make sure the tool is seated correctly before you try to slide hammer it out.

ok, so the fuel rail came off with a slide hammer from harbor freight. Took several good whacks with it but it’s off. In the 1st photo, theres enough on the transition on the rail that you can use the slide tool and lever it against the rest of the rail so it bites the edge.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
Times like this I wish I had the SC v6. This last injector on cylinder 8 (7 of 8 out) is a pain. I’ve got Seafoam penetrating petroleum oil hopefully working it’s magic. 2,4,6,8 much harder to get out because 1,3,5,7 were pulled recently (new valve cover). At least 30-40 pulls on the drivers side bank, it felt like, and lots of carbon. Was surprised I wasn’t getting misfires before last week. Will be interested to see if there’s a slight tick up in “fuel economy”

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Will be interested to see if there’s a slight tick up in “fuel economy”
Don't be surprised if you don't see much improvement. You'll have to use the IIDTool to clear the adaptation values, drive normally for 100 miles, check the I/M Readiness from a regular scanner for 02 and catalytic to read Ready, and then you'll see a slight difference.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:driver:
Don't be surprised if you don't see much improvement. You'll have to use the IIDTool to clear the adaptation values, drive normally for 100 miles, check the I/M Readiness from a regular scanner for 02 and catalytic to read Ready, and then you'll see a slight difference.
Curiosity more than hope... I didn’t buy this thing for fuel economy.

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
what did you do to clean your injector ports?
I have a shop vac and modded the smallest adapter with bendy straws. Similar to this, https://www.instructables.com/id/Vacuum-Straw-Brush/.

At this point, I highly recommend getting an endoscope and drop it into your spark plug holes to see if anything dropped into cylinder, cause you can damage more things internally.

I have a similar endoscope to this, 7mm USB Endoscope Inspection Camera 2.0 MP CMOS Snake Camera Borescope 2 in 1 Flexible HD Waterproof Tube Sink Drain Pipe Camera with 6 Led Light for PC/Laptop/Computer/OTG&UVC Android Phone-16.4ft/5M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YY6KLSN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0WigEbHMW551D.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so the fuel rail came off with a slide hammer from harbor freight. Took several good whacks with it but it’s off. In the 1st photo, theres enough on the transition on the rail that you can use the slide tool and lever it against the rest of the rail so it bites the edge.View attachment 10474 View attachment 10475

@djkaosone

I am understanding this correctly? Is @scott schmerge using the Harbor Freight slide hammer to accomplish the same thing you did with your bottle jack and 2x4 rig?

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I am understanding this correctly? Is @scott schmerge using the Harbor Freight slide hammer to accomplish the same thing you did with your bottle jack and 2x4 rig?

@scott schmerge didn't remove his intake manifold and went the slide hammer route. Looks like it worked for him. I'm just wary about popping out one end of a fuel rail vs the entire rail at the same time. Since he's replacing his injectors it's not a big deal. Otherwise, I would check the old injectors if it bent.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72