2011 LR4 Misfire/rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@scott schmerge didn't remove his intake manifold and went the slide hammer route. Looks like it worked for him. I'm just wary about popping out one end of a fuel rail vs the entire rail at the same time. Since he's replacing his injectors it's not a big deal. Otherwise, I would check the old injectors if it bent.

so mine came off on one side like you are describing but was very easy to remedy. I just reinserted the bolt onto the side of the rail that had released and pulled the other side. No bending of injectors occurred. Large o-ring and loose fit to injectors. The thing that keeps the rail stuck is varnish that bonds the o-ring to the rail. I had an o ring actually remain in the rail and pull off of the injector end...

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a shop vac and modded the smallest adapter with bendy straws. Similar to this, https://www.instructables.com/id/Vacuum-Straw-Brush/.

At this point, I highly recommend getting an endoscope and drop it into your spark plug holes to see if anything dropped into cylinder, cause you can damage more things internally.

I have a similar endoscope to this, 7mm USB Endoscope Inspection Camera 2.0 MP CMOS Snake Camera Borescope 2 in 1 Flexible HD Waterproof Tube Sink Drain Pipe Camera with 6 Led Light for PC/Laptop/Computer/OTG&UVC Android Phone-16.4ft/5M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YY6KLSN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0WigEbHMW551D.

I had thought about the shop vac route. Also had thought about what might have dropped into the engine. Why the crap don’t they have a rubber gasket around these injectors that keep junk out of that cavity? Seems stupid, but not much that LR does seems to make sense.

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Why the crap don’t they have a rubber gasket around these injectors that keep crap out of that cavity. Seems stupid, but not much that LR does seems to make sense.

100% agree with you. I found souvenir sand from Occotillo Wells, Johnson Valley, Mojave Desert, and wherever else left in my injectors. I tried to vacuum it out before pulling them and then had to vacuum the injector port and inside the cylinder through the spark plug port. Its a pain in the butt, but had to be done.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% agree with you. I found souvenir sand from Occotillo Wells, Johnson Valley, Mojave Desert, and wherever else left in my injectors. I tried to vacuum it out before pulling them and then had to vacuum the injector port and inside the cylinder through the spark plug port. Its a pain in the butt, but had to be done.

Yeah, assuming I’ll have to do the same. Very much appreciate your help on this. I would not have scoped, but will now, just to make sure. Pretty sure I’ve got crap now in the engine :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m done with the injector job. Took me around 5 hours total. Car starts!

Good work! I’m about 3.5-4 hours in and the passenger side is buttoned up but still have cleaning and reassembly of the drivers side left. Will finish in the am, so 5 hours is a reasonable time estimate and about what I’ll hit too. Fingers crossed she starts! Gotta scope through the spark plug ports to make sure crap didn’t fall in the engine. Scoping through the injector ports, there’s all kinds of carbon in there. Time for some serious sea-foam and other treatments to try and clean some of that out.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work! I’m about 3.5-4 hours in and the passenger side is buttoned up but still have cleaning and reassembly of the drivers side left. Will finish in the am, so 5 hours is a reasonable time estimate and about what I’ll hit too. Fingers crossed she starts! Gotta scope through the spark plug ports to make sure crap didn’t fall in the engine. Scoping through the injector ports, there’s all kinds of carbon in there. Time for some serious sea-foam and other treatments to try and clean some of that out.

I did my best with the vacuum, but I assume any last remnants of crap will get blown out of the exhaust. It took a few cranks to get fuel primed and everything, but then purred really nice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72