2011 LR4 Misfire/rough idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TheDave, I’m about to embark on taking fuel rail off (I’ve got it broken down to there). Did you ever get around to doing a write up? Can’t seem to find one. @TheDave, @DonC, Any advice or lessons learned? I’m doing all eight injectors and plugs while in there. I have the passenger side broken down to fuel rails. Drivers side is about 1/2 way to rails.

Do you have the manual?

I'm out of town until Wednesday, but I could parse out the relevant section and email it when I get home.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the manual?

I'm out of town until Wednesday, but I could parse out the relevant section and email it when I get home.

I do have a manual. Not sure it’s the same one- there’s not a ton about separating the fuel rail from the injectors. Hoping to avoid snapping anything

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@avslash Separating the fuel rail from the injectors can be a bear... they stick on the injectors really tight. I've done it on this engine before (the supercharged version) but don't remember exactly how we did it. It required a lot of pulling and maybe some gentle tapping. Tip for removing the injectors... they might take a lot of hits from the slide hammer.

Why am I here? My truck just had very similar symptoms this morning. Drove about a mile, ran fine, then as I entered the highway I got the vibration, reduced performance, etc.

Like a few other of your, I just started running injector cleaner recently (Iso Heet, red bottle) to give it all a cleaning. I am not getting a consistent misfire code from any one or multiple cylinders... its all over the place. My current theory is that the injector cleaner started to break down the gunk in there, which is now making the injectors stick open.

I typically ran 87 octane, shame on me, right?

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@avslash Separating the fuel rail from the injectors can be a bear... they stick on the injectors really tight. I've done it on this engine before (the supercharged version) but don't remember exactly how we did it. It required a lot of pulling and maybe some gentle tapping. Tip for removing the injectors... they might take a lot of hits from the slide hammer.

Why am I here? My truck just had very similar symptoms this morning. Drove about a mile, ran fine, then as I entered the highway I got the vibration, reduced performance, etc.

Like a few other of your, I just started running injector cleaner recently (Iso Heet, red bottle) to give it all a cleaning. I am not getting a consistent misfire code from any one or multiple cylinders... its all over the place. My current theory is that the injector cleaner started to break down the gunk in there, which is now making the injectors stick open.

I’ve had good luck running Seafoam but I also had no issues, you can tell when it’s in the system because the R4 runs a little better l/smoother.

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck running Seafoam but I also had no issues, you can tell when it’s in the system because the R4 runs a little better l/smoother.

Have you been consistently running seafoam? I haven't ran injector cleaner through mine in over a year.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score

good words! I’m a little more than 1/2 way through the job. Passenger side has plugs out, injectors removed and new injectors in place (did before removing plugs as to not get any debris inside the fuel system). I was actually really surprised at how smoothly it went on that side.

on the drivers side I’ve got the plugs out (as I was curious how all the plugs looked and was having much more trouble pulling that side fuel rail). All plugs look pretty good for 133k on them. Some have more carbon than others, but does not look like a case of fouled plugs or bad fuel.

I don’t want to jinx myself so I’m holding off on claiming victory here. Wish me luck! Will report back when job is complete. I am traveling this week so it won’t be til Friday.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Left and Right respective banks
931ECC17-B1CD-4F26-8810-FE570E24DDD4.jpeg

mklinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys replace the injector clips, or reuse the old ones?
The only way that I can find the clips is by buying the kits from atlantic british (link)...

FYI, Injector set from Atlantic British: $900
Injector set from Atlantic British from Ebay store: $750
Individual injectors, x8, Atlantic British Ebay Store: $700
Link to ebay store

I'm currently looking to see how much it would cost for a indy shop to do this for me... :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72