2011 LR4 normal engine sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have a 2011 and it sounds just like my Mercedes diesel. I'm at 126K, haven't done the tensioners or the TC, but I have had the fuel injectors changed out. I know this isn't directly involved in this thread, but has anyone changed out the engine mounts? I have not. I've put almost 100K on the truck, so not much was done to it in the first 2 1/2 years of ownership.

I've actually thought about replacing the mat on the hood, just to see if that would help deaden the sound a little. Plus, it's been off road and in the water so often, that it's just plain dirty and half falling off.

Braddisco

Reaction score
Thanks! My concern is on start up. I hear a clatter sound almost like my TC or something like that. Then once in idle I hear a very diesel esq slap, slap, repeat… I listened to another friends 2013 LR4 V8 and heard nothing of the such. His starts and idles/ sounds like a normal humming engine. I’m concerned that something was not addressed properly when the TC was done by previous owner.

Braddisco

Reaction score
I should add that other than the constant clatter sound the truck idles smooth and drives smooth. No dash lights or an indication that the engine is not well.

Braddisco

Reaction score
Yeah it’s really hard to tell if my truck needs another timing chain job or if it’s nothing…. All I can say is that I did an idle comparison with a 2013 LR4 and my truck sounded like a diesel the other like a smooth running engine. Not sure why. Stumped.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
warm startup rattle is indicative of a timing chain issue, unfortunately

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the VVT solenoids? I’ve heard they can rattle pretty good when they fail. They’re mounted outside the TC covers, so should be easy to change. One thing you could do is reach through the oil filler with a right angle pick and just see if you have much slack in the chain. Should be tight like a guitar string from what I understand.

Braddisco

Reaction score
Yeah I’ll try that, seems like a doable diagnosis. It really only slaps for a quick second on start. Then quiets. I’ll report back on the results of the “pick” test. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut