2014 Oil Leak???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been following this thread - very unfortunate for the OP.

Not to add to your stress or plant a grenade in your mind, and I'm no expert, but once they do a tear down on the engine I feel like it just won't be the same again (tight, etc). Smartly push LRNA for a buyback or at the very minimum, a brand new engine WITH cash monetary compensation. Neither option will be new to them.

A Bavarian auto company bought back my brand new custom-ordered vehicle when the engine throttle and fan started displaying a mind of a its own; I didn't even hit the 30 calendar day mark for the manufacturer to buy it back. Not saying it will be the same for you but give it a try.. I documented the Case# the Dealership opened with corporate, every call, date, who I spoke with, status, and when to expect a new update. Then I called them again on that date. They bent over backwards for me and made me whole. Hopefully LRNA will do the same.

Once my buyback happened, I went back to LRNA and bought an LR4!

Interested in the positive outcome!

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they confirm it was an oil leak? My service guy said after looking at the picture that it might be this paraffin based stuff they put on new vehicles for shipping. Sometimes they overdo it and when as the vehicle heats up it can melt and fall off. Not saying its not a serious problem. Just hoping.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they confirm it was an oil leak? My service guy said after looking at the picture that it might be this paraffin based stuff they put on new vehicles for shipping. Sometimes they overdo it and when as the vehicle heats up it can melt and fall off. Not saying its not a serious problem. Just hoping.

Well, based on his pictures they filled the motor with it!

Unfortunately as the expansion tank was full of the brown goo, it appears as though the oil got all the way into the cooling system.

My fingers are crossed for you too!

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys... truck is scheduled to be finished today. Problem was confirmed to stem from a bad oil intercooler in the engine valley. See pic. It's the long / flat aluminum plate in between the intake runners. Oil gets routed through this part along with coolant. The coolant passage / lines were breached, this in turn allowed higher pressure engine oil to force its way into the coolant system. They reassured me that no coolant entered into the engine oil, I'm still suspect of this and will request to see oil sample test.

My written request to Land Rover NA for a detailed analysis of the entire process was met with a written response from Land Rover that they are unable to provide such level of detail, though they reassured me that they will stand by their product and make sure my expectations have been met(open to interpretation). A written response from Land Rover was a big surprise to the Service Dept, they hadn't seen that before.

After speaking candidly to my Service Writer, we both agreed that asking for an extended warranty wouldn't be an unreasonable request and from his experience, Land Rover does make an effort to regain trust. I'm patiently waiting to hear their response.

The following engine info has not been verified through any other means. To my benefit, I was able to speak directly to the mechanic working on the motor. My main focus was that of the AJ126 engine block design and related technical track record. While he didn't have much to say about the LR4 platform, he has seen this oil cooler problem in the Jaguar line. To his knowledge, the AJ126 block was put into service in 2013 and that it's design came from the European Ford division. I asked if there was a way to document oil cooler part revision number. Both service personnel were unaware of any revision numbers on these parts.

Unfortunately, the wife and I are headed out of town for the next week and we will not be able to drive it. Dealership was going to keep it and test drive for a few miles. I agreed.

I'll update again once everything shakes down. In the meantime... MY14 owners... keep an eye on your overflow reservoirs! :frown:

Attachments

• IMG_1127.JPG
    IMG_1127.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 47

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water, this is great information. That is a good thought to have around asking for an extended warranty.

Glad you are having an somewhat positive outcome to your issue.

Keep us posted.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up truck on Wednesday. Wife drove it 20 miles. Upon return home, I inspected engine compartment. There was still oil in coolant tank. Took vehicle back to dealership. Met with service manager and they are confident that the oil seen is residual. Flushing system a few more times. I'm tired... let's talk about something else.

Do we have a King's fan on here? Let's go Kings!!!!!

More updates as they come in.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up truck on Wednesday. Wife drove it 20 miles. Upon return home, I inspected engine compartment. There was still oil in coolant tank. Took vehicle back to dealership. Met with service manager and they are confident that the oil seen is residual. Flushing system a few more times. I'm tired... let's talk about something else.

Not a Kings fan. I do live in Colorado after all! :smile: But I will say the Kings pulled a great comeback last night. And I think that Islander defenseman was leaking oil himself and slipped on it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ugh - sorry to hear this and man I am frustrated for you!

My dad is a huge Boston Bruins fan, so that's all I hear about when I call him on the phone. Haha!

Seriously, I hope your issue can be resolved, I must say you are taking it well. I'd likely be flipping out and try to sell it, but it may just be a one-time thing. I am hoping your LR4 is solid everywhere else!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM