22 MPG @ 75mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thuroughly impressed! I just got back from my first 12 HR adventure in the LR3 treking from Chicago to Rainy Lake (in the International Boundry waters of Canada) n' back. The LR3's behavior on the highway was amazing & comfortable to ride in... a suprlus of power to pass logging trucks at high speeds, and roomy enough for all 2 people all our gear, and 2 large dogs in teh back, surprisingly enough my @ss didn't fall a-sleep. But what amaised me was I averaged 75.3 mph & 21.9 mpg the the entire trip! The best part is I got almost 500 miles out of a tank of gas! amazing! One very minimal irritation however there seems to be wind chatter from the windshield when the wind gusts traveling around 65mph +, which will be addressed while in for scheduled maintenance. My reason for the post is I've seen numerous posts compaining about poor gas milage, and thought this was worthy of some positive press. Have any of you been able to average better than this?

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...was your entire trip downhill, with a strong tail wind, or were you drafting behind tractor trailers? Or all three?

The best highway mileage I've been able to manage is 18ish.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As measured by hand (not the silly computer), the most I ever get on a boring "highway only" drive on my V8 HSE is maybe 20 MPH now. I'm pretty sure my average speed is less than 75, too. You must be downhill the whole time. :smile:

An old cut and paste from last year, for my "real numbers":

12/31/2005: 14.55 [mixed]
01/06/2006: 12.48 [city]
01/13/2006: 13.52 [mixed]
01/29/2006: 11.07 [mixed + mud/rock/off-road]
01/30/2006: 15.24 [mountain/highway - cargo loaded]
02/01/2006: 16.79 [mountain/highway + hard snow/off-road - cargo loaded]
02/06/2006: 17.87 [mountain/highway - cargo loaded]
02/11/2006: 13.81 [mixed]
02/19/2006: 11.71 [city]

No, it hasn't improved since then. :smile:

BoulderGT3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from Boulder, CO to Lake Powell UT last week. 1000 miles roundtrip and the LR3 was loaded to the roof on the way there. It's through the mountains and a fair amount of 2 lane roads. I drove 80MPH on the highways and 70MPH on the two lanes. Averaged 19.8MPG hand calulated for the whole trip.

My wife's RX350 averaged 23 on the same trip.

steppenwolf

Reaction score
Did a 3900 mile trip from BC down through southern Utah and back in mid-May with a combo of 75 mph interstate and backroad travel (Hole in the Rock, Cottonwood Cyn Narrows) and averaged 23.2 mpg (Imperial), about 19.3 per US gal.. Drove more than 800 miles one day and could have done more. It's an amazingly comfortable long-distance traveller. Ciao.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a rather flat drive with the exception of Duluth.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll regularly get 19-20mpg on highway trips. 70+mph.
42K miles.

Around town is a 13-14 average.

kosta

Reaction score
I'm thuroughly impressed! I just got back from my first 12 HR adventure in the LR3 treking from Chicago to Rainy Lake (in the International Boundry waters of Canada) n' back. The LR3's behavior on the highway was amazing & comfortable to ride in... a suprlus of power to pass logging trucks at high speeds, and roomy enough for all 2 people all our gear, and 2 large dogs in teh back, surprisingly enough my @ss didn't fall a-sleep. But what amaised me was I averaged 75.3 mph & 21.9 mpg the the entire trip! The best part is I got almost 500 miles out of a tank of gas! amazing! One very minimal irritation however there seems to be wind chatter from the windshield when the wind gusts traveling around 65mph +, which will be addressed while in for scheduled maintenance. My reason for the post is I've seen numerous posts compaining about poor gas milage, and thought this was worthy of some positive press. Have any of you been able to average better than this?

I just did my first road trip from Toronto to Cape Cod and back. The truck was loaded with 3 adults, 2 dogs, and lots of gear. I was totally impressed with the comfort (i did all of the driving) and passing power of the truck. My rear seat passenger couldn't stop praising the room/comfort back there too. I watched the mileage carefully throughout the journey, as I've been getting a max of 17mpg in my normal highway driving at home, and sometimes as low as 8 mpg in the city. I was very pleasantly surprised to see 22.7 mpg at one point while cruising at a steady 72 mph. VERY NICE!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
22.7 on the computer or "reality", kosta? I've had it say over 28 MPG in some scenarios. Of course, reality sets in later when re-fueling.

kosta

Reaction score
it was on the computer, so i'm just going by that, but i can say that i did notice a huge difference in the distance between fill-ups.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4