98 LE + 96 SE Disco I project needs advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primesuspect

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 98 Disco I LE 4.0 and a 96 SE. The 98 is cosmetically in great shape but does not run. The mileage shows 110,000 and I believe that it was well maintained by the first owner because there is very little carbon build/ Slugging when the oil cap is removed. The second owner does not know what happened(never checked gauges) one night the car started running rough, was driven home, and then would not start the following morning. I assume it was overheated because there was no coolant left in the radiator when I became the owner several months later.

I also recently purchased a 96 SE for parts which looks as if it has been thru a lot in its 123,000 miles and the oil may have never been changed. It has what looks like milk choclate laced peanut butter on everything I can see thru the oil cap. Despite the globs of sludge it still runs but with a loud tap ( no knock is noticeable ).

Research has lead me to believe that I might be able to resurrect the 98 and possibly without removing the block. I have not attempted any project of this magnatude before but I have patience and time and this is what I want to do with it.

*I could use any advice on diagnostic procedures to determine if my engine is salvageable and if so what needs to be rebuilt.

*I have the D1 workshop manual but not a trouble shooting guide.

*The 98's Starter solenoid clicks and I assume it engages from the noise but the engine does not turn over.

*I have not attempted to turn the crank manually to see if it has seized but will as soon as I am sure what to look for if it does turn.

Thank You For Your Time

Will

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Send me your number and I'll try and walk you thru getting started on this.

primesuspect

Reaction score
As I said before, the starter does engage but does not turn the motor. It did sit up for the better part of a year before I ended up with it. I will try to turn the crankshaft by hand but I didn't feel sure that would be my next move and I am not certain I know how much resistance I should have or what I need to look for when I do. I assume that all I need to do to turn the crankshaft manually is remove the belt and use a socket on the crankshaft pulley. Do I need to turn it Clockwise or counter? This is what I need help with at this point and I am having trouble locating certain details in my research.

primesuspect

Reaction score
Sorry....no beers tonight. Block turns 1/4 turn either way and there is some strange noise present at the end of each turn. I pulled the flywheel cover and found what looks like the Cam bore freeze plug folded in half and chewed up by the flywheel. Outlook not good.

Now I have to decide to save the 96 instead of the 98 or start swapping the block. I think I will first dismantle the 98 engine to remove it. I dont think I can hurt it. I would like to save the Fuel system. Any tips like what not to do that might damage it would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink