Another random suspension failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mwillems

Grr: my LR3 just had yet ANOTHER suspension failure.

On this, a warm (18C) and dry Sunday, a few minutes after starting up after lunch, while driving normally (I was not doing anything, just driving steady on a straight and flat road) the car suddenly sounded a "ping" and displayed "SUSPENSION FAULT", and the yellow suspension failure lamp came on. After 10 seconds or so, it pinged again and went to "Suspension - Normal Height Selected", and the error cleared. This entire sequence now repeated *three more times* in the next few minutes, before it settled and the car performed normally.

Of course this /would/ happen on Sunday, at my second property in Mono, 100km from the nearest Land Rover dealer! I have now had, what, four random failures? All are slightly different and all involve the suspension. Budds in Oakville and Land Rover corporate have been very supportive and have spent many weeks looking at my car. Every time I get it back with the message it is OK now and should not fail again. But every time, it has.

In spite of their much appreciated efforts, I feel I can no longer trust the engineers to get my truck reliable. I love the LR3 to bits, but can not trust my particular car. Groan!

M

mwillems

And it just did it AGAIN: same suspension failure.

I am asking Land Rover for a new car.

D

disco1

I hate to add insult to injury (which I'm not), but it has long been a contention of mine, that the more computerised + gadgetised vehicles become, the more helpless we become. Perhaps I'm just cynical, but the scenario seems to be, sell the vehicle at a "budget price", then put their hands into your pocket when things go wrong (usually a month after the warranty runs out).

M

mwillems

Disoc:

Agreed, this is a danger. But tech things *can* work well!!

I am asking LR for a new car now. But I am not holding my breath. In the US I would definitely qualify for lemon laws, but in Canada we have no such laws. LR have been good but not that good - if I were them I would have offered me a new car several failures ago...

I'll keep you all informed.

T

texas911

I'd rather have the LR3 the way it is. I love the gadgets, after all, we're in the 21st Century.

M

mwillems

Yes we are - and as said, we can make things reliable (cf. any airplane). And I too want the LR3 - but random suspension faults all the time are just not acceptable to me. Plus, they only happen on Sunday when i am outside cell range and 100 km from the dealer.

I have been very patient (almost one month in the workshop in the 3 months I have owned the car) - but now enough is enough.

T

texas911

Yes, that is to bad, hopefully your dealer will step up and try to get you into another LR3. I know my dealer would.

M

mwillems

The car just had the same suspension fault again...!

Chris Samadh of LR Canada is handling the issue and I must say I appreciate the help. LR appears very embarassed by all this, and Chris has just told me he is willing to let me have a new car - unfortunately, they have none (ordered 77, received just three). But he is on the case, so no doubt will find some solution... I must say LR are being very helpful. I'll keep you all informed. Tomorrow my car will go to the dealer's again, no doubt.

G

geowgray

Suspension Fault

It's funny I've mentioned a simular incident on this forum as well resently. Just after my LR3 had accessories installed........ tow electrics and front spotlights, I drive it not more than 5 miles and the fault lights come on and the suspension jacks itself up to offroad height, even at highway speeds. However I switched off the ignition and back on. I suppose it reset itself and have not had the problem sense. I'm still not amused!

:eek:

J

jasbluesal

suspension fault also

I dropped my HSE off yesterday, I get the "Suspension Fault- max speed 30 miles per hour" flashing light, my suspension DROPS, even doing over 60. It did it 6 times in 1500 miles and is hard to control when it drops.
Have they tried repairing yours yet and failed? I'm wondering if I will be traveling down your road. Too bad, cause I love my LR3. They did give me an LR3 loaner while mine is in the shop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4