Battery advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a couple months now I've been having the infamous click when you go to start it and never thought it was a big deal since it would start after a couple times of trying. Lately though its been to the point where I don't know if it will start and if I stop somewhere in between my destination i'm afraid to cut it off. I did the battery check with my multimeter and it reads 12.5 standby and around 13.8 when I can get it started. When I turn it over it goes down around 11.5 before it starts. I've read numerous posts where people swear that it's mostly always the battery and was thinking about just replacing the battery and hoping for the best but we all know the LR3 battery isn't cheap and I don't wanna waste that kinda money. I don't know much about the engine on the LR3 so I can't find the starter or solenoid to check cables or clean the contacts. I'm curious what you guys would do... my last resort is to take it to the shop and have them figure it out when I can save money and do it myself- any help is appreciated ~Rich

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So go deal with it and have a local parts store run a free charging system test, voltage should be 13.6 to 14.4 volts, if a battery is needed buy one with 800 CCA or more.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with the auto parts stores is that they aren't experienced enough with Land Rovers so I really don't trust what they say... that's why I put it out there for the more experienced Rover guys on the forum including yourself could kinda tell me in your experience what it sounds like the problem might be. I trust the opinions of this website more than those of Pep Boys or AutoZone.

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Rich, first off, do you have a battery charger and what sort of drive times do you do when you go for a drive?

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only drive to work which is about 20 minutes and no I don't have a battery charger but when the Rover was being stubborn and wouldn't start I jumped it with my Wife's car and it started right up

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people at the parts store know more then you and have the tester. Are you just going to sit around and wait for it to fix it self or what?

drivesafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi again Rich, your problem is probably the short driving times.

If you can’t borrow a battery charge then try taking the LR3 for a good drive and see if it starts easier for the next few days after your drive.

If it does then all you need is a small battery charger and give the battery a charge every two weeks or so.

If you still have a hard time starting after the drive, then you probably need a new cranking battery.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree, a 20 mile drive twice a day is more then enough to keep up a good battery, assuming the alternator is good.
He needs to go get the free test done to find the issue.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Mike I never said I knew anything ... all I know is from what I read on the forums... i'm not a retired service manager of 30 years. I never expected it to fix it self ... give me a break. Why are you so ******* people? I've read alot of posts where you come off kinda arrogant... alot of us come on here to find out stuff about our vehicles and get advice on fixing it ourself. I did plan on getting it tested but I've had bad experiences with getting my cars fixed at auto parts stores, so for me personally I don't trust what they tell me and all I was looking for was opinions from the guys on the forum. Give us a break we're all not certified mechanics like you.

RichL73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@drivesafe thanks for the response but it's only gotten worse in the last month going from starting after the first couple tries to taking like 5-6 minutes of turning the key all the way off then back on to start.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635