Battery replacement - diagnostic procedures ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tacos&beer

Reaction score
It's time to replace the main battery on my 2016 LR4. I have replaced batteries in the past on less "sophisticated" vehicles easily. Is there any diagnostic or computer related step that needs to happen once the new battery is in on this vehicle ?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can just slap a new one in and it’ll be fine.

You’ll need to reset the auto window up switches (press and hold window up until you hear a quiet click type noise) on each window.

You can also take this time to upgrade to an H8 sized battery.

There is a CCF setting that you can change the battery type with the IID tool, but I doubt it’s going to make a huge difference if you don’t do it.

tacos&beer

Reaction score
You can just slap a new one in and it’ll be fine.

You’ll need to reset the auto window up switches (press and hold window up until you hear a quiet click type noise) on each window.

You can also take this time to upgrade to an H8 sized battery.

There is a CCF setting that you can change the battery type with the IID tool, but I doubt it’s going to make a huge difference if you don’t do it.
Awesome ! - Thanks for the info.

danapop

Reaction score
Hello new poster here. Bought my first Land Rover in august (2016 LR4 HSE LUX)

I’ve been having an issue with my hatch switch (top portion) switch doesn’t work sometimes to open and it constantly goes off and the actuator releases the top hatch partially.

So it’s booked in for service Monday but when I spoke to the advisor he said it could be the battery. So I said ok will swap it out before the service. He said you can’t because the ecm needs to be reprogrammed after the battery change so only dealers can do it. I’m new to the LR family, but want to confirm that isn’t right?

Second, the battery probably does need to be changed as the voltage drops to 12.34 when I turn the engine off. But I can possibly believe that is the root cause of my hatch going off constantly.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably have a bad actuator in your hatch. It's a common problem.

You can reprogram the ECM yourself if you have the GAP Diagnostic iiD tool. Or you can just swap the battery and not reset anything.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t reprogrammed my battery control module after a battery change - no ill effects so far. And I know the last battery change was done without resetting the battery control module several years ago - it had the wrong battery specified in the settings. Again - no ill effects.

I just responded to your other post about the actuator. With the additional info that it doesn’t open all the time - that does sound like the actuator is bad. Still, it might be weak because it keeps going off. So, replacing the actuator is probably needed, but it might or might not solve the problem of random triggering.

Eagle11401

Reaction score
I can confirm that swapping out the battery did not require any reprogramming. In fact, swapping out my main battery when it died reset the 2nd aux battery and now my start stop works again. :( was enjoying not having to press that button every time and no light on the dash.

danapop

Reaction score
I can confirm that swapping out the battery did not require any reprogramming. In fact, swapping out my main battery when it died reset the 2nd aux battery and now my start stop works again. :( was enjoying not having to press that button every time and no light on the dash.
LOL. I hate the eco stop as well, but I hate the light on the cluster when I turn it off even more...

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hmm, I haven't had start/stop activate in the last 6-8 months. Now I'm wondering if the battery is getting weak.....

danapop

Reaction score
Updated - changed my battery today. Took all of 15 minutes. Only things I had to reset were the date, time and auto up on the power windows.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM