Been thinking about switching it up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with these guys and definitely not do that deal... The drivetrain changes in 2010 was definitely a big improvement and the power of the S/C is intoxicating, but I think the idea of a CPO car from a dealer is a much better idea. These cars should be plentiful, now that the new one is out. I would recommend driving some RR's before switching. I like both very much, but they are quite different. You have a mint LR4 that is all sorted out and you would be jumping into something unknown.

I would specifically not buy a 2010, because LR went too far tuning the suspension for comfort and it was way too soft, especially the rear. I actually drove mine most of the time with the rear Adaptive Dynamic fuse pulled, which defaulted the rear to a stiffer, but constant setting. It was very annoying... This was mostly cured in 2011, but these new ones are still too soft for my tastes. The best handling one was the 2008 S/C. I don't understand why LR can't put a "sport" button in these things, like everybody else. "Rant over"... :)

While I do favor the RR, in 2008 and 2010, I had both at the same time. The RR was my luxury whatever and the LR3/4 was my do everything, go anywhere in any weather utility vehicle. While both are capable of filling either of these roles, that's how I saw them...

Go spend some time in a RR and you will end up preferring one or the other, based on your needs...

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing about the LR4 is how much you get for the money, IMO, it is and as good as the outgoing FFRR, minus the regal badge and some more interior refinements that put the FFRR so far upmarket. Even my non-LUX LR4 felt way upmarket from its MSRP. The sticker was $56K, and I paid $51K, and it felt like a seventy-thousand dollar vehicle. There is NOTHING out there that is better... or provides what you get with these Rovers. Actually, there was a time where I was able to compare all three models, in one shot, all three non-Lux Land Rovers, the LR4, the RRS and FFRR, at the dealer, and honestly, outside of size, looks, etc., the build qualities and overall package you get were almost exact. Even the non-Lux leather in all three were exactly the same. I always felt like a million bucks in my LR4 and it carries an unmistakable heritage as being unstoppable and so classy.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing about the LR4 is how much you get for the money, IMO, it is and as good as the outgoing FFRR, minus the regal badge and some more interior refinements that put the FFRR so far upmarket. Even my non-LUX LR4 felt way upmarket from its MSRP. The sticker was $56K, and I paid $51K, and it felt like a seventy-thousand dollar vehicle. There is NOTHING out there that is better... or provides what you get with these Rovers. Actually, there was a time where I was able to compare all three models, in one shot, all three non-Lux Land Rovers, the LR4, the RRS and FFRR, at the dealer, and honestly, outside of size, looks, etc., the build qualities and overall package you get were almost exact. Even the non-Lux leather in all three were exactly the same. I always felt like a million bucks in my LR4 and it carries an unmistakable heritage as being unstoppable and so classy.

+1 Well Said! I agree, bang for your buck, you can't beat the LR4.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 Well Said! I agree, bang for your buck, you can't beat the LR4.
+2 as well.

I really think you get a LOT in the LR4 for your money, especially considering the big V8 engine. If you look at BMW or Mercedes, the price is well above what we pay even for an HSE Lux. I got my HSE Lux for around $58,000 and couldn't touch a German vehicle (with the V8) for the same price. Plus, the off road capability is unmatched. While there are some quirks, I love the iconic design and heritage. Although I think the new RR and RRS vehicles are brilliant, they are just too soft and mainstream-ish for my taste. I will feel happy keeping my LR4 long term.

Regards, David

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing about the LR4 is how much you get for the money, IMO, it is and as good as the outgoing FFRR, minus the regal badge and some more interior refinements that put the FFRR so far upmarket.
I believe this to be the case too. Now you guys actually own LR4s, so you know a lot better than me, but I mention it because I didn't realize what one could get from an LR4 when I started shopping. I was looking at the FFRR and the RRS, and not giving the LR4 a second look. I assumed it was a lot less of a vehicle because of the price difference.

Now that I've looked at it, researched it, etc., I'm very close to getting one and I don't feel like I'm getting less of a car, only getting a better deal. Which is no knock on the RRS or FFRR, it's just a testament to the LR4.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+2 as well.

I really think you get a LOT in the LR4 for your money, especially considering the big V8 engine. If you look at BMW or Mercedes, the price is well above what we pay even for an HSE Lux. I got my HSE Lux for around $58,000 and couldn't touch a German vehicle (with the V8) for the same price. Plus, the off road capability is unmatched. While there are some quirks, I love the iconic design and heritage. Although I think the new RR and RRS vehicles are brilliant, they are just too soft and mainstream-ish for my taste. I will feel happy keeping my LR4 long term.

Regards, David

I equipped the ML and X5 with similar equipment and they were well into the $70k range (with the V8's). A GL450 similarly equipped is well into the 80's but then that may not be totally fair.

Either way, I agree the LR4 is a good (great?) value. How crazy is that?

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, even a nice Tahoe LTZ is $60,000, although it is quite a bit larger...

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, a top of the line Jeep Grand Cherokee (Summit model, not the SRT) will run you $55K+ for the V8

And there's nothing wrong with that car, but it's not in the same class, either in terms of luxury or off-road prowess. I test drove one and found it to be nice, until I got in an LR4.

Most SUVs, once you get to the mid-or-high-end configuration, are going to run $50K and more. When you start looking at the German cars, or the tuxedo-branded Japanese ones (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura), you'll see they blow past the price of an LR4. An Infiniti QX will easily top $78K.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635