Brake fluid low light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turley

Reaction score
Had my brakes done a month or so ago. Shop that did it bled the brakes. Didn’t figure this out till the light came on and found a puddle in the garage.

Filled it back up with the correct DOT fluid. Top is full, but the light won’t turn off. All pads are wearing evenly the best I can tell.

Tried the pop the hood, open door turn car on hold gas sand brake.... I feel like I went and looked for blinker fluid lol.... unless that’s right and I just did it wrong

2010 LR4 160k and still running like a champ

Thought?

E5B25E88-BAA3-4930-95AB-D803029D7C91.jpeg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few things...

1. You have a leak somewhere. Fix the leak. This is serious. Maybe they didn't tighten a bleed ****** enough. Check all calipers for a wet spot.

2. You probably already know this, but brake fluid is super corrosive. Take care with your safety and any material it touches. It will destroy any painted surfaces.

3. Unsure as to your question. Are you trying to find the leak? See #1 and check the calipers. If none are wet, check the reservoir. If nothing there, things get hairier. You could have a kinked line somewhere that would need to be replaced.

Brake fluid is no joke. Are your brakes spongy at all? That is the obvious sign of a leak in the system - especially on a recently serviced system. Also, if any amount of time has gone by, you will need to re-flush the system. Brake fluid is highly hydroscopic and its performance will deteriorate rapidly when exposed to air (which would be the case with a leak). This is the whole reason (other than racing - high temps) why you even change the fluid and why once the container is opened, if not used promptly, you need to get rid of brake fluid. Even unopened bottles cannot be kept indefinitely.

Also, gas + brake won't really do much more for you than just hitting the brakes hard. With the LR4 parked, push pedal once all the way. Let go. After that, the next push should not move the pedal much at all and should feel hard as a rock. If it moves at all under pressure you have a leak and you should see wetness at the leak point.

Last edited:

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% with Quijote and to add to what he said, you shouldn't drive the car until you find the source of the leak and fixed. If its a damaged brake line or leaking ****** it could pop at anytime.

Turley

Reaction score
I found the leak a while back it was the bleeder on the front driver. Replaced the fluid and it has held for two weeks with no issues. The red brake light won’t turn off. There were some videos online about resetting the lights, but I have been unsuccessful. Anyone have an idea on how to do that?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea. Perhaps the IID tool has some reset function? Otherwise you can always go medieval and unplug the battery for a while and reconnect. It’s a nuisance, but it might do the trick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72