Brakes and steering shimmy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rover831

Reaction score
Long story short, I have replaced rear brake pad/rotors twice, once at 32,000 miles second time at 55,000 miles. First time at dealer, second at another mechanic w/genuine parts. Interestingly, the dealer told me the first time that the front brakes had 15% left on them, but when they told me they needed replacing again at 55,000 miles they said the front were fine. That is why I went elsewhere for the actual work, and also the cost. Now at 61,000 the car has heavy shimmy and shake upon breaking, most all of the time, but very substantial at higher speeds. I took it back to mechanic who just did brake work in March, and specifically asked them to look for warping in the rotors which I've heard is often the cause. No rotor or break issues but they said there are issues with the bushings and tie rods including a leak. After consulting their Rover contact and finding a TSB, they came back with a huge number to do extensive work including replacing the whole steering column. They advised that they would recommend first just the minimal work ($1400) for the tie rods and bushing to see if that did the trick. So, I took it to Land Rover for another opinion. They called and said it is the front rotors (they are aware I had brakes done elsewhere but I'm not sure they realized it's the rear not front) and that they are not worn, but are warped and are not genuine parts. Hmmm. I've never had anyone touch the front brakes. I checked repair order and the part #'s listed are all genuine and specific to rear brakes. Someone seems to be trying to scam me here, so how do I tell if the front brakes are indeed warped and if they are original parts?

This is a hot mess!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my little story on this.
Same symptoms as the ones you're experiencing.
Decided to get the front brakes replaced (pads, rotors...).
A couple hundred miles later... Shimmy and shaking are back... At least as bad maybe more
Land Rover tells me you need to replace the brakes at the dealership... I tell them I used genuine parts and a great mechanics...
Go back to little shop, they swap the brakes under warranty (for free)...
Drive the truck for a couple days... Shaking and shimmy are back really bad.
Go back a third time and the mechanics tells me that the only time one of his customers experienced something similar (on a BMW) it turned out that they had to replace the hubs... I go to the dealer with this piece of info and the dealer tells me that it's definitely not the hubs or bushings or tie rods but the BRAKES.
back at the little shop and they kindly swap the front brakes one more time for free... Put the most expensive parts available go back show it to the dealer, foreman tells me that these are the best and that I'm all set.
Pack all our stuff in the truck for our move from Boston to Albuquerque and leave.
600 miles into the trip shaking is back, light and then more and more severe. Severe enough that the last 800 miles were actually scary.
Arrive in ABQ go to dealer get same reply than in Boston (Hanover). Need to change the brakes.
I decide to go to Santa Fe, about 60 miles away, and talk to the service director.
He tells me that they're going to check everything one by one.
Calls me at the end of the day to tell me that they have to replace some bushings. The day after he calls me and tell me that they also will have to replace the passenger hub and bearing assembly!!! And sadly that the rotors have been damages by the bad hub and will need to be swapped.
Some of it was warranty work some not.
I happily spent $1,300 for all the work and driven close to 3,000 miles on and offroad since then trouble free.
Turned out that the nice little Indy shop was right all along and that dealer just wanted to make some money and never really looked into it.
Thank you Dedham Wholesale Tire (MA) and Land Rover Santa Fe, NM for the all the hard work and fixing my problem.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I live a couple of miles away.

Yes they are really good guys and know their stuff. If you ever go there for tires or something else you can tell them that you know me. Axel Romeo (French guy with Rover).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635