buying a new lr4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too offered invoice plus 2% as my final plus mud mats/cargo mat thrown in and closed the deal on my order for a '12.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the market is different over in California. Invoice + 2-2,500 if they have the car in stock or in the area seems to be the prevailing rate. So, around 5%... Also, if you want HD, not a lot of inventory, which of course makes it harder to deal. If anyone has been able to get a HSE with HD at 2% in socal, please let me know the dealer!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt it is a market thing. More the lack of the HD Package on a majority of the inventory landed. My sales guy did a search across the East coast for me and only found 5 trucks in total, none with the options I wanted (all of them).

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I meant, its hard to deal when there is so little inventory for the particular truck I want. So, I assume when you got 2%, you compromised and didn't get the "perfect" truck? If not, can you share your negotiating tactics, as I appear to be inept :)

Not sure what is wrong with me, but for some reason, I have convinced myself that the lack of HD is a deal killer....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats what I meant, its hard to deal when there is so little inventory for the particular truck I want. So, I assume when you got 2%, you compromised and didn't get the "perfect" truck? If not, can you share your negotiating tactics, as I appear to be inept :)

Not sure what is wrong with me, but for some reason, I have convinced myself that the lack of HD is a deal killer....
Hey bromhead,

I don't blame you for wanting to get exactly what you want as far as options. I am just wondering, do you plan to do some major off-roading? You mention the lack of HD is a deal killer, but most people never even use the locking rear differential. I know several LR4 owners who do some major off-roading (in some crazy conditions) and they do not have the HD package. I know it also has the full-sized spare, but that's an easy fix.

I'm just curious, why the locking rear differential?

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
david,
Because I am a poser? :)
I guess I am of the mindset that the reason I want a LR, is that I want a extremely capable 4x4. I realize a stock LR4 is probably, except for ground clearance, better than my 97 Disco (its lifted), but if I am going to buy a new one, why not get the best that they offer? If 4x4 capability wasn't so important, i think the cayenne, x5, q7, etc might be attractive options.

I am sure that I will not put the vehicle to its test that much the first few years as I will be conscious of beating the crap out of a new 60k car...and thats why I kept the Disco, but eventually I will end up driving it pretty hard.

Net net, i appreciate that its a bit irrational, but for some reason, thats part of the appeal of the rover. To just show how stupid I really am, besides the locker, I also wish I could get her in 18in tires with a few more inches of lift...and why not throw the diesel in as well....or just sell me a NAS Defender! :)

Its funny, I really rebelled against all the creature comforts..one of the reasons I didn't upgrade to a LR3 when the disco turned 10 or so, but after having my loaded Grand Cherokee for 6 months, I turned soft and really appreciate all the luxury options both cars have...(hopefully the rover will be different in that it will actually work...)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
david,
Because I am a poser? :)
I guess I am of the mindset that the reason I want a LR, is that I want a extremely capable 4x4. I realize a stock LR4 is probably, except for ground clearance, better than my 97 Disco (its lifted), but if I am going to buy a new one, why not get the best that they offer? If 4x4 capability wasn't so important, i think the cayenne, x5, q7, etc might be attractive options.

I am sure that I will not put the vehicle to its test that much the first few years as I will be conscious of beating the crap out of a new 60k car...and thats why I kept the Disco, but eventually I will end up driving it pretty hard.

Net net, i appreciate that its a bit irrational, but for some reason, thats part of the appeal of the rover. To just show how stupid I really am, besides the locker, I also wish I could get her in 18in tires with a few more inches of lift...and why not throw the diesel in as well....or just sell me a NAS Defender! :)

Its funny, I really rebelled against all the creature comforts..one of the reasons I didn't upgrade to a LR3 when the disco turned 10 or so, but after having my loaded Grand Cherokee for 6 months, I turned soft and really appreciate all the luxury options both cars have...(hopefully the rover will be different in that it will actually work...)
Hey bromhead,

Fair enough - I am the same way! :) If the locking rear diff is that important, then definitely don't settle. With the off-road height set, there is pretty decent ground clearance. If you were going to do more crazy off-roading, then you can have rods installed to raise it a bit. As for the 18" wheels, that's a whole discussion in itself! :)

There is only one 18" wheel option for the LR4 and that's through Compomotive. You can definitely go that route, I think it's just shy of $2,000 for 5 wheels delivered from the UK - plus tires. Take a look at the 19" wheel thread for more information. The stock 19" tires, Conti 4x4Contacts are not bad, but I just switched to the newly available Cooper Zeon LTZs and I love them - very nice on road and great off-road (just tested them out on Saturday).

I think you will love the LR4, as I took a long break from Land Rover before going back. I had a 2000 Discovery and actually hated it - piece of crap. The LR4 (even compared to the LR3) has a lot of great improvements. You will also really appreciate how capable these vehicles are stock - though most off-roading folks change out tires, add some skid plates, sliders, etc.

I think everyone on this list who off-roads without the HD package will agree, the LR4 is an extremely capable 4x4 with and without the rear diff. I know some folks who are Rubicon style nuts without it.

Keep us posted!

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, since I moved to San Diego, most of my driving has been in the desert, not terribly challenging. Never took my pig to the Rubicon, but definitely banged her up and down in the Sierras. I just know that I will regret not purchasing the locker, even though I probably no longer need it.

I have been trolling for a while, so I saw the 18in wheels thread. I think I might just go the LTZ route. Nice looking tires. How long did you use the Conti's before you rationalized the switch? Did you get the exact same size or a bit bigger?
I am hopeful the buyback will be finalized by the end of this week and then I can move forward. Looking forward to posting some pics at some point!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No, I ordered the truck I wanted and settled at 2% of invoice plus throw-ins. Basically a white HSE w/black int with all of the options(CCP, HD, VSE) including stereo, satellite and headrests. Delivery for late July.

As far as negotiating goes, best to be armed with all of the information when you go in. That means knowing the dealer cost and invoice for the truck and all options including dealer holdback and advertising fees that are usually hidden. Don't be afraid to haggle or walk away. Luckily if you are ordering the discussion is only about price and not about confusing you with financing/leasing APR's/money factors, etc.

Truecar used to show factory and invoice of the options but I noticed recently they changed their format and it doesn't show anymore.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, since I moved to San Diego, most of my driving has been in the desert, not terribly challenging. Never took my pig to the Rubicon, but definitely banged her up and down in the Sierras. I just know that I will regret not purchasing the locker, even though I probably no longer need it.

I have been trolling for a while, so I saw the 18in wheels thread. I think I might just go the LTZ route. Nice looking tires. How long did you use the Conti's before you rationalized the switch? Did you get the exact same size or a bit bigger?
I am hopeful the buyback will be finalized by the end of this week and then I can move forward. Looking forward to posting some pics at some point!
Hello bromhead,

I definitely think if you will regret it, then wait till you find an LR4 with the HD (and other options/color combos you want). When you are paying this much for a vehicle, you should get what you want.

I used my Contis for about 10,000 miles and three off-road trips, though only mild to moderate terrain. Personally, I just wanted a tire that looked better (the Contis are so damn boring), more rugged, and definitely more capable off-road (and also tame on-road). I have had them for a couple weeks and I am beyond happy! Previously, the only option for the stock 19" wheel (255/55/R19 tire size) were the Pirelli Scorption ATRs, which are a great option, but I just preferred the Coopers and they seem to be more popular for off-roaders. Cooper just started making the Zeon LTZs in the 255/55/R19 size, so people are pretty excited for a new tire option. Basically, it's the Coopers or Pirellis if you want something good off-road. If you want crazy off-road tires, you need to get the 18" wheels. I really thought about the 18"s, but for now, going with the Coopers is a great option - I love them!

The Coopers are the same size, as I believe you must stick to the 255/55/R19 size if you want to keep the 19" wheels.

I got the Coopers through tread depot dot com, and they were AWESOME!!! Tire rack does NOT have the Coopers yet in our size, nor are they listed on the Cooper website (though they have the product number there). Tread depot beats any price and their customer service was great. I did get the tire insurance on the four tires (I bought 5 - one for the spare) just in case.

If you want to pull the trigger on the Cooper tires, let me know and I will give you more details.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112